Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mitre saw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

240v for DIY, unless you have a 110v transformer and want to sell it on to someone who works on sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Thanks for confirming, he may have a transformer already but I'll go for the 240v.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

The blade size is very small on those, the lidly aldi equivalents would typically be 210mm and cheaper.
    A bigger blade is going to help with cutting capacity and speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

air wrote: »
    The blade size is very small on those, the lidly aldi equivalents would typically be 210mm and cheaper.

They ( the evolution )are a cracking saw in fairness. The blade on them is excellent and the motor provides plenty of grunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

air wrote: »

Sliding Lidl/Aldi are typically 99€

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Sliding Lidl/Aldi are typically 99€

Yes, I have one of them over 10 years and it has had dogs abuse, built a few buildings and gone through a mountain of other work with nothing but a new blade recently.

That said I'm a fan of the evolution tools generally and their multi material blades etc.

However, if I was buying a chop saw again I'd go for one with the biggest blade I could afford all else being equal.

I think my Aldi saw is 210mm and I definitely wouldn't want anything smaller unless I never cut anything bigger than a 4x2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

Cheers folks, the only issue is waiting for Aldi or Lidl to have them on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,236 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have the lidl one and it certainly does everything I want from it. Initially it was not cutting at exact right angles, very slightly off, but I managed to fix it by adjusting the (back plate?) slightly and now it is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought the evolution 255 a couple of months ago and very happy. Spend 20mins testing and setting up to ensure it is cutting square etc.. when you get one.

Even the Evolution 210mm is only €24 more expensive on screwfix, the motor is 1500W instead of 1000W also.
    A world of difference between those two saws I'd imagine.

The bed and slides etc look very similar to the Lidl / Aldi versions to be fair and I doubt there is a massive difference in quality between those and the Evolution outside of the blades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

The Evolution is a really nice Saw. You want to decide what it's mostly going to be used for, As said above the cutting Dept could become an issue.

If it's just for DIY then you're probably going to be fine with the Evolution

Advertisement