Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuart Turner ST55 - Replacement

Options
  • 25-03-2021 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

My Mum has a ST55, but the shaft seal is leaking.

I've seen that there are services that will refurbish these, but it's old (more than 16 years at least), and there is a crack on one of the plastic outlets, and whilst that doesn't leak from there when the seal adaptor is inserted (the seal is below the crack), we'd prefer to replace it.

Is there anything available that we can get and just connect up the 4 hoses (it's got hot and cold inlets/outlets), plug it into the power socket, and away we go again?

Just want the minimum of fuss. It was bad enough that the isolation shut-off valves didn't do their job properly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭delboythedub

biobot wrote: »
    My Mum has a ST55, but the shaft seal is leaking.

I've seen that there are services that will refurbish these, but it's old (more than 16 years at least), and there is a crack on one of the plastic outlets, and whilst that doesn't leak from there when the seal adaptor is inserted (the seal is below the crack), we'd prefer to replace it.

Is there anything available that we can get and just connect up the 4 hoses (it's got hot and cold inlets/outlets), plug it into the power socket, and away we go again?

Just want the minimum of fuss. It was bad enough that the isolation shut-off valves didn't do their job properly.

Why don't you get it refurbished, I've got a few done in the past no problems. Stuart Turner are a good make. Are you in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 26 biobot

I had thought about refurbishing it, and haven't discounted it either, it's just that after all the aggro I had with the isolation valves, and the cleaning and repairing of the mess this failure made, I really want to install something that probably won't need to be taken off in the next 5 years.

Plus the shaft had a fair bit of limescale on it where the mechanical seal failed, and corrosion of the brass/copper (?) shaft, I'm not entirely confident in how well a new mechanical seal will seal.

All that, and seeing a date of 2001 on the label, I think a similar new model might be a sensible option.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,961 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

biobot wrote:
    All that, and seeing a date of 2001 on the label, I think a similar new model might be a sensible option.

Domestic Pumps on Dublins South Side & ST pumps on Dublins North Side sell reconditioned /refurbished pumps. They will give a warranty too.

Your old pump is way too old to be spending money on imo. If you bring it to one of the above pump repair shops then they will sell you as close a match as possible to the old one. They usually offer something small for the old pump. Yours might be too old for them to offer trade in but no harm trying. I'd imagine there are other pump repair stores scattered around the country

Advertisement