Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Cz 457 synthetic

  • 25-03-2021 10:33am
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Anyone gotten one of these in 17hmr or 22lr.Used to have a 455 in 22 and never had a bother with it.Looking at it in 17hmr and was wondering if anyone has shot it yet.Cheers.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭ clivej


    Asus1 wrote: »
    Anyone gotten one of these in 17hmr or 22lr.Used to have a 455 in 22 and never had a bother with it.Looking at it in 17hmr and was wondering if anyone has shot it yet.Cheers.

    CZ have updated all the iffy bits from the 452/3/5 and made them better. By all accounts the new 457 .17 is a tack driver. There are a few in stock at dealers now.
    I bought the 457 LRP in 22lr, just waiting to get to shoot it now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    clivej wrote: »
    CZ have updated all the iffy bits from the 452/3/5 and made them better. By all accounts the new 457 .17 is a tack driver. There are a few in stock at dealers now.
    I bought the 457 LRP in 22lr, just waiting to get to shoot it now.

    Yeah paddy fagan has them but can't get a feel of them at harbor House until the lockdown is over, cheapest in Ireland as well I think€550.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭ clivej


    Asus1 wrote: »
    Yeah paddy fagan has them but can't get a feel of them at harbor House until the lockdown is over, cheapest in Ireland as well I think€550.

    Balistech had 5 in stock in .17hmr
    Great lads to deal with. Tell them Clive sent you for a 50% discount on everything.


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    clivej wrote: »
    Balistech had 5 in stock in .17hmr
    Great lads to deal with. Tell them Clive sent you for a 50% discount on everything.

    Would you believe it I bought my 455 off them over the phone it was my first rifle after my air rifle.Cost me less than €400 new,just goes to how much rifles have gone up in 5 years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Well got it this evening, haven't had time to shoot it yet but it feels lovely in the hand.Its not too heavy but not too light that it feels like a toy.
    The gun dealer I bought it from McBrides was A1 to do business with and oh my god his shop is probably the best stocked shop I have ever been in,I'd say you could spend a week rooting through it.
    Can't wait to get a day to zero her now.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭ Feisar


    Extra props for the Opinel! Best of luck with the rifle.

    First they came for the socialists...



  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭ clivej


    Aim small, and hit hard


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Feisar wrote: »
    Extra props for the Opinel! Best of luck with the rifle.

    Always was looking for one,it's a no9.


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Just a quick observation on mounting scope.Have your Allen screws that tighten scope to dovetail rail facing onto the left of the rifle as the bolt throw will catch them if put on right of rifle.
    Also 1 piece rod that spins at the handle is a great job for running through barrel as it's so small (thanks Cass).From reading online I was thinking it was going to be a pain to get cleaning brush down barrel but I found it handy enough.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭ Vizzy


    Asus, thats a sweet looking rifle, best of luck with it.


    Just on the breaking in issue, I am hoping that I will get permission for a sub in the next few days.
    I have noticed that the bolt on the new rifle is a little tight and am just wondering if I should clean off any grease/ covering on the bolt, give it a light coating of 3 in 1 oil or similar (Hoppes maybe).
    Will this be sufficient for the moment and allow the rifle to break in naturally after that ?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Vizzy wrote: »
    Asus, thats a sweet looking rifle, best of luck with it.


    Just on the breaking in issue, I am hoping that I will get permission for a sub in the next few days.
    I have noticed that the bolt on the new rifle is a little tight and am just wondering if I should clean off any grease/ covering on the bolt, give it a light coating of 3 in 1 oil or similar (Hoppes maybe).
    Will this be sufficient for the moment and allow the rifle to break in naturally after that ?
    My bolt is fairly smooth but I did clean it and was surprised to see very little grease on it.I think I read on some American site where alot of them polish the bolt with some very fine wet/dry sandpaper I think.Ill just let mine wear in naturally.But being honest if it doesn't stop raining I'll have nowhere to zero it for a month as land around here is starting to flood.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭ clivej


    Asus1 wrote: »
    Just a quick observation on mounting scope.Have your Allen screws that tighten scope to dovetail rail facing onto the left of the rifle as the bolt throw will catch them if put on right of rifle.
    Also 1 piece rod that spins at the handle is a great job for running through barrel as it's so small (thanks Cass).From reading online I was thinking it was going to be a pain to get cleaning brush down barrel but I found it handy enough.

    I always put the screws for the rings on the opposite side to the bolt. Saves taking the skin off your knuckles.

    I'm using a 17hmr cleaning rod and jags, the .22 jag with wet patch wouldn't go past the chamber.
    Just remember to clean the barrel before taking any shots, get any sh!te out of the barrel first.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭ Rows Grower


    Brilliant shooting considering the conditions, any one of those shots is a dead fox,which ammo did you use and what scope did you put on it Asus?

    "Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

    Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.



  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Brilliant shooting considering the conditions, any one of those shots is a dead fox,which ammo did you use and what scope did you put on it Asus?

    Used 17g v max also tried 20g but wasn't really impressed but I would like to try them on a nice day.Scope was hawke 3-9 probably need more magnification if you were interested in getting better groups as a dot at 100y is tiny.
    Don't know where my previous post went.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭ cookimonster


    MOD NOTE

    Just to remind posters of the Shooting Forum Charter- in particular - Illegality is... illegal
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66892683&postcount=8

    Current legislation has deemed any form of target shooting out side of authorised ranges to be illegal. This moderation is a protective measure for both members and the Forum.



  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    MOD NOTE

    Just to remind posters of the Shooting Forum Charter- in particular - Illegality is... illegal
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66892683&postcount=8

    Current legislation has deemed any form of target shooting out side of authorised ranges to be illegal. This moderation is a protective measure for both members and the Forum.


    Just to say I wasn't target shooting but trying to zero but if it's best to remove it fire away no point in getting in trouble.Thanks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭ Rows Grower


    Asus1 wrote: »
    Used 17g v max also tried 20g but wasn't really impressed but I would like to try them on a nice day.Scope was hawke 3-9 probably need more magnification if you were interested in getting better groups as a dot at 100y is tiny.
    Don't know where my previous post went.

    I know the craic, 100 yards with the 3-9 Hawke is a challenge to keep a tight group but in fairness as you've shown they are a reliable scope.

    It pays in the long run to zero them in properly at the start with different ammo.

    "Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

    Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.



  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Little niggle I found with the v mav 17g was that if I put 5 rounds into magazine the first round would not chamber without me pushing it down a bit but had no trouble with the 20g.Is it the ballistic tip,any recommendations as other than looking for a replacement magazine.


  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ philog


    Just got the 457 in 17 hmr from Irish shooting sports.. Great men to deal with and good price too.. Its beautiful timber stock with 20 inch varmint barrel.. A huge improvement on the 452 or 455 in my opinion.. Very well finished gun.. Silky smooth bolt and forward to fire safety.. Fully adjustable trigger.. Its a tack driver.. 1 moa is easy without any big effort.. I have it zeroed at 1.5 inches high at 100 yards.. About a 175 yd zero.. Just point and pull out to almost 200 yds.. Not ammo fussy either.. I've tried them all.. Love the little 457..!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭ Asus1


    Well been out the last few nights and have taken a few fox that I knew were around and have them coming to bait stations.Fox shot have been from 40 to over 100yd and gun performance was great.None of the fox moved and all were front chest shots so I'm happy with results,would probably take chest shots to 120 or a little more.
    Noise was something I was worried about but I use to shoot CCI velocitor and in my mind they were as loud if not louder than the 17.
    Ease of point and shoot is what makes it so much better for what I'm doing,which is vermin control to protect waders.Before with the 22lr if I saw a grey in the field I'd have to judge distance and holdover now I just put cross hairs on it and shoot with little if any holdover out to 140y or more when I get practice in.
    Magazine problem was solved by just leaving it loaded which probably wore in spring.
    Overall excellent rifle, lovely trigger,love the dull barrel blueing,nice length of pull and stock although synthetic feels like it will last a lifetime.
    Honestly couldn't see myself going back to a 22lr unless I took up target shooting.


  • Advertisement
Advertisement