Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Song title display via RDS

• 25-03-2021 11:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed in France, every station displays the name of the show and the song titles on the RDS. Here only Nova seem to show the song titles, why don't more Irish stations do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

loyatemu wrote: »
    I noticed in France, every station displays the name of the show and the song titles on the RDS. Here only Nova seem to show the song titles, why don't more Irish stations do this?

Nova's sister stations Classic Hits and Sunshine 106.8 also do. Today FM and Q102 also display songs.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

loyatemu wrote: »

Here in Cork, 4FM, RedFM, Today FM and Juice FM (college station) do this via the formatted RadioText+ (in my Kia car it shows Artist / Title). RTÉ Radio 1, 96FM, Radio Kerry, RTÉ 2FM and Lyric FM do it the old fashioned way (Now playing: x by y on station name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't listen to Classic Hits, but it makes sense as they're in the same family as Nova.
    I've never seen it on TodayFM or any of the RTE stations - we've a pretty modern audio system in the car, shows the station logos etc. Don't know why it would show the song titles on Nova but not the other stations...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Today FM does it too, and I'm sure I've seen it on 2FM. I don't think it's consistently there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Glaceon

FM104 repeat the artist and title name twice or three times, which looks weird on radios that can display the whole string.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭RINO87

Sometimes you need to hit an icon or button to display the song/artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most Irish stations do at this stage. On a recent Honda you need to call up the Radiotext+ with a menu button which then blocks out the rest of the ICE when you do it - so not all cars make it easy when they do do it.

2FM have a number of shows that are not played from the automation system and hence have no method to get the track names, during this time it puts up something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭doney84

Sorry to drag up an old thread but can someone confirm if today FM are still transmitting the song title and artist name?

My car radio used to display them but I noticed recently it's not and I haven't changed any settings on the radio itself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They were today anyway. I did notice recently that it wasn’t working for a couple of days around Christmas but it certainly was working today and last night

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭doney84

That's strange, I only get the message with a number to txt or WhatsApp the station. I wonder if the song title and artist info is transmitter specific? I'm based in the North East, so wonder if anyone in that location is experiencing the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I reckon it is transmitter specific yes. If you travel cross-country with one radio station on, you’ll notice the RDS text varying a bit as you go. E.g. I’ve noticed “Newstalk” and “Today FM” are all in CAPS in some locations and not in others.

Classic Hit’s song titles in the RDS was also really broken in the Galway area for several months last year. It was always showing the wrong song titles. Whereas it was working fine from other areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I still only rarely see it on TodayFM, whereas Nova have it 99% of the time; invariably Coldplay or Queen 🙂

Advertisement