Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Customer Service calls..

  • 24-03-2021 9:59pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭


    Q - when calling customer service numbers.. bank, health insurance etc.. are all calls recorded or only if its declared that they are?


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood


    most places have 100% recording in place


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,052 ✭✭✭This is it


    They probably have to inform you that you're being recorded "for training and quality purposes"...


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭sporina


    This is it wrote: »
    They probably have to inform you that you're being recorded "for training and quality purposes"...

    this is what I was wondering - do they have to declaring it for legal reasons if its been recorded?


  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭myNewName


    sporina wrote: »
    this is what I was wondering - do they have to declaring it for legal reasons if its been recorded?

    Yes legally they must declare it


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 66,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011


    myNewName wrote: »
    Yes legally they must declare it

    They don't actually, however its just easier for them to do so.

    Single party consent is all that is required in Ireland. Once the other person - the customer service agent - is aware its being recorded that is legal.

    This is not common internationally hence many people believe it has to be declared as that is often the case in other countries.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xterminator


    myNewName wrote: »
    Yes legally they must declare it

    no they dont, not legally. it has implications (data retention, GDPR etc) and its good practice to do so, but they break no law by recording you are only one parties consent is required.
    "The 1993 Act amended the definition of “intercept” and, as a result, the current position in Irish law is that it is not illegal to record a telephone conversation if one of the parties to the call consents to the recording"


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭sporina


    thanks for the clarification - I assumed it was a legal requirement to declare it if calls wer being recorded.. I was just trying to figure out whether or not a particular call I was on was recorded or not as it wasn't mentioned..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xterminator


    you can ask for a copy of all calls they have recorded or you can specify dates. if they have it you can get a copy of it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭PreCocious


    sporina wrote: »
    thanks for the clarification - I assumed it was a legal requirement to declare it if calls wer being recorded.. I was just trying to figure out whether or not a particular call I was on was recorded or not as it wasn't mentioned..

    Not directly relevant to your case but the odd time I've had to look for a call recording to prove what was said/agreed it was unavailable/destroyed and the company had to cave in. It's not a massive sample size (I don't get into many rows on the phone) but..


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Xterminator


    in my job we record calls as part of our business process. the retention of the calls is subject to a retention policy that automatically deletes them after x days. it is not legal to record and retain data indefinitely.

    now if someone came along and asked for a recording of a call and we tell them its been deleted, that is just the good practise of not retaining data for any purpose beyond that which is was obtained, and not a Machiavellian conspiracy.

    I cant speak for other companies, but just wanted to put that on the record.
    GDPR does not specify retention periods for personal data. Instead, it states that personal data may only be kept in a form that permits identification of the individual for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was processed


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭sporina


    thanks for all the replies.. I am clear now.. so its not a legal requirement.. was just curious...

    On a side note, had an experience a few years ago when shopping around for car insurance.. calls were recorded (that was declared at the start though so there was no ambiguity there).. but anyway had a call where a certain price was quoted.. when I called again, they gave me a more expensive quote.. I told them about the previous call and cheaper quote.. supervisor listened back to the call and indeed I was right, I had been given a cheaper quote (but the staff member was wrong and should not have given it to me)... anyway they had to honour it as indeed thats the quote I had got.. hope that staff member didn't get into trouble though ekk
    Point is though, in that instance, I am v glad that the calls wer recorded.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭Vic_08


    sporina wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies.. I am clear now.. so its not a legal requirement.. was just curious...

    On a side note, had an experience a few years ago when shopping around for car insurance.. calls were recorded (that was declared at the start though so there was no ambiguity there).. but anyway had a call where a certain price was quoted.. when I called again, they gave me a more expensive quote.. I told them about the previous call and cheaper quote.. supervisor listened back to the call and indeed I was right, I had been given a cheaper quote (but the staff member was wrong and should not have given it to me)... anyway they had to honour it as indeed thats the quote I had got.. hope that staff member didn't get into trouble though ekk
    Point is though, in that instance, I am v glad that the calls wer recorded.

    You should install a call recorder app on your phone, that way you have your own copy of these calls.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭sporina


    Vic_08 wrote: »
    You should install a call recorder app on your phone, that way you have your own copy of these calls.

    thanks but era, i'm not that bothered.. don't make these calls too often


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭corks finest


    you can ask for a copy of all calls they have recorded or you can specify dates. if they have it you can get a copy of it.

    Did with eir mysteriously they couldn't furnish me with them for comreg as I was pursuing them for their shoddy customer service etc


Advertisement