Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recomendation on smoke + fire + carbon monoxide + natural gas combi alarm

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 59 ✭✭Tredstone.

Natural gas is probably separate anyhow

Smoke and CO can probably be combined in some places

I presume you can distinguish fire and CO with the combis ?

I don't like combi stuff so I would be fitting separates anyhow

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I like these. I think that they way they connect to the app is great. My only criticism is that they do not do a heat detector.

What use is the system without a heat alarm ?

I do use a optical smoke alarm in my own kitchen, but that's a personal preference over heat (which is the norm)

Are the actions for CO and Natural Gas similar, I presume they are ?

Open windows?

For natural gas would you switch off outside at the main protective device or would you do anything there at all ?
    ( Hmm probably not ,gas would be trapped inside the cabinet)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Tredstone. wrote: »
    What use is the system without a heat alarm ?

I do use a optical smoke alarm in my own kitchen, but that's a personal preference over heat

I think you have answered your own question there :D
    Tredstone. wrote: »
    Are the actions for CO and Natural Gas similar, I presume they are ?

The main risk posed by carbon monoxide is due to the fact that it is poisonous so inhaling it can be fatal. It is an odourless nonflammable gas. No need to isolate anything electrically. If the CO alarm activates get out ASAP.

On the other hand natural gas is primarily made of methane (an ATEX gas) which means that it can explode, so a very different risk. This gas has a strong odour.
    For natural gas would you switch off outside at the main protective device or would you do anything there at all ?
    ( Hmm probably not ,gas would be trapped inside the cabinet)

I would turn off the gas at the meter first. Then I would open all of the doors and windows. Turning off any device can cause arcing across the contacts device which could ignite an explosive gas is it was present. It may be best to switch off at the meter cabinet outside assuming there is no smell of gas there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement