Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth the hype ?

Options
  • 24-03-2021 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks
    Just wondering how you all feel about the PS5 ,
    Was it worth the wait and does it live up to the hype ?
    The reason i ask is I haven't had a consul since the PS3 years ago and iv been thinking about getting a ps5 , I know it is hard to get your hands on one but I'm in no rush ,

Is it worth it , just to play a couple of hours a few nights a week after the kids have been out to bed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

hey folks
    Just wondering how you all feel about the PS5 ,
    Was it worth the wait and does it live up to the hype ?
    The reason i ask is I haven't had a consul since the PS3 years ago and iv been thinking about getting a ps5 , I know it is hard to get your hands on one but I'm in no rush ,

Is it worth it , just to play a couple of hours a few nights a week after the kids have been out to bed ?

Simply, yes. If your on twitter follow this lad https://twitter.com/ps5_ireland or https://www.twitch.tv/cosie90 He seems to have a handle on when PS5 stock drops to the likes of Gamestop and Smyths. I haven't had a console since Golden eye on the X box! This is great craic but I'm like a two year with a new rattle. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s a game console. It’s not going to change your life.

But it is fast, powerful and delivers very good performance on games that would’ve struggled last gen. The SSD is a much needed improvement that’s a massive quality of life improvement. The controller is excellent.

But it’s a game console at the end of the day. I’m more than happy with it, especially as my PC is mostly a work station at the moment. But just don’t expect your mind to be totally blown, which is sound advice for any bit of new hardware these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kasparinho23

In my opinion the console it self is great but just like ps4 at the start there is much to play. Yes people go on how you can play ps4 games and they look so much better but if your tv is 5 or more years older you aint noticing any difference and pay all that money so you can play a game you can play on your ps4 then yeah wait is the best option but if you havent got a ps4 or a decent pc then yeah ps5 would be a way to go to catch up on titles you have played on ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

I've had one since end of Feb.. I wouldn't rush out to get it tbh. I got lucky one morning checked smyths.

Games remasted for 4 to 5 is just a cop out imo.

The quick loading times are sweet mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

A Switch might be a better bet, if you are literally looking for a pick up and play console. It can fit into round a busy family life. Plus the games are super family and kid friendly. Only downside is the first party games never go on sale really. Get them physical which works out much cheaper bizarrely and you can trade them, sell them.

If, you want more adult games and a complete break from the kids with the best graphics etc then ps5/Xbox series x. The fast on loading in these is a game changer. But as others are saying, nothing really special at the moment game wise Vs older consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it was. Yeah, next gen games are few and far between at the moment, but lack of new games aside it is pretty much an excellent console. The load times are super quick, the thing is basically silent, the next gen games look really good and the PS4 games look and play better with the upgrades. The DualSense is an amazing bit of kit, and when utilised properly it really adds to the game, making it more immersive. And Astros Playroom was the game I didn't know I needed, and is especially amazing if you've been with Sony since the PS1.

I would say 100% get a PS5 if you get the choice between 4 or 5. But you wouldn't be wrong for getting a 4 to keep you tied over until they're more available.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If you haven't had a PS4 it is probably worth picking up one if you can do so with ease. It isn't worth it if you have a PS4, or need to jump through hoops to get one. Apart from Astrobot, I've only been playing PS4 games on it anyway and there isn't exactly a steady supply of next gen games in the pipeline, certainly not for the more casual gamer anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

hedzball wrote: »
    I've had one since end of Feb.. I wouldn't rush out to get it tbh. I got lucky one morning checked smyths.

Games remasted for 4 to 5 is just a cop out imo.

The quick loading times are sweet mind

OP skipped the PS4 so he's got a back catalogue of fantastic games to catch up on and gets to experience them in the best way possible on the PS5. I never got around to God of War despite owning a PS4 and later a pro, the xbox was my primary console last gen. I'm glad I waited because it's such an improvement on PS5. Looking forward to replaying the last of us games if that remastered bundle ever sees the light of day.

It's not a massive difference from last gen. The last big leap forward I remember was probably PS1 to PS2. Everything after that has been incremental improvements.

Advertisement