Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Long term investment

• 24-03-2021 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭ dubstepper

I have some inheritance that I want to invest. I am not someone that interested in the markets, so buying shares is out.

Would it make sense to put it all into one ETF like iShares Core S&P 500 and just leave it there? Two questions on it:

1) Is that diversification enough, or should I invest in more than one ETF?

2) Is it worth taking to a management company? These guys seem to charge say 1% and probably are just investing in the same shares?

I am skeptical of money manager, especially after the davy revelations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ stronglikebull

If you're not interested in managing your own share portfolio then an ETF is probably not a bad idea. You need to be aware of the ongoing tax implications of an ETF though.
    https://www.moneyguideireland.com/buying-exchange-traded-funds-etfs-in-ireland.html
    Effectively, you'll have to value to the gains in the fund every 8 years (whether you're cashing out or not) and pay income tax on it at that point.

I've only just started looking into this myself, but I believe what this means is that if your ETF gained say €10,000 after 8 years, you'd be liable to pay tax at 41% of that amount, so €4,100, even though you're not cashing out. You have to make this same assessment again every 8 years you remain in the fund. You may be forced to sell some of your fund just to pay the tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,289 ✭✭✭✭ Mad_maxx

dubstepper wrote: »
    I have some inheritance that I want to invest. I am not someone that interested in the markets, so buying shares is out.

Would it make sense to put it all into one ETF like iShares Core S&P 500 and just leave it there? Two questions on it:

1) Is that diversification enough, or should I invest in more than one ETF?

2) Is it worth taking to a management company? These guys seem to charge say 1% and probably are just investing in the same shares?

I am skeptical of money manager, especially after the davy revelations.

1. the S+P is more than diversified enough

2. yes , the money managers will stick it in the same product effectively but will send you a slick quarterly newsletter

as long as you are able to be patient , its a sound idea

Advertisement