Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor bike storage, minimum size required

Options
  • 23-03-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to get back into cycling but the current storage location of my bike isn't ideal as it's indoors, can't cycle when it's damp excuse, and awkward to get it/out of it's location, too much hassle to go out. So I'm looking to move it outside so I don't have any excuses.

Looking around all the boxes that fit a bike are several hundred Euro and the bike isn't worth that much, even if I buy an expensive box if they want the bike they'll have it. So I'm only looking for weather protection and to stop the opportunist thieves, I've another solution for the slightly more determined.

Would a bike bike fit in a 4'x2'x4' box like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Del2005 wrote: »
    Looking to get back into cycling but the current storage location of my bike isn't ideal as it's indoors, can't cycle when it's damp excuse, and awkward to get it/out of it's location, too much hassle to go out. So I'm looking to move it outside so I don't have any excuses.

Looking around all the boxes that fit a bike are several hundred Euro and the bike isn't worth that much, even if I buy an expensive box if they want the bike they'll have it. So I'm only looking for weather protection and to stop the opportunist thieves, I've another solution for the slightly more determined.

The length looks like its a bit short.. It would need to be nearer 6ft in length..And depending on your handlebars it may be a bit shallow. there is a thread on here somewhere about bike shelters. Argos used to do one relatively cheap...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I searched as I thought that there would be one but couldn't find it.

How about this?

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2755126/Trail/searchtext%3EOutdoor+storage.htm

I forgot to say in the OP that it can't be too tall as it's going to be on a terrace area with walls about 1.2m high and I don't want to go too much above that

Is this the Argos one? Unfortunately it's too high

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4644479/Trail/searchtext%3EOutdoor+storage.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

What about a cheap motorbike type cover to keep off the weather and a good lock assuming you have something secure to lock it to?
    Maybe a ringbolt you can put into the ground or wall?
    Probably less than 100 euro in total. Far cheaper than a box..

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    What about a cheap motorbike type cover to keep off the weather and a good lock assuming you have something secure to lock it to?
    Maybe a ringbolt you can put into the ground or wall?
    Probably less than 100 euro in total. Far cheaper than a box..

Was thinking of that but would rather something I just pop the bike in and out of, any extra hassle and my laziness wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Was thinking of that but would rather something I just pop the bike in and out of, any extra hassle and my laziness wins.

I hope tho the laziness doesn't extend to maintenance. Outdoor, more exposure to moisture, means you want to keep it well maintained - quick rinse and lube after each ride or once a week is what I go for (and that's with indoor).

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    I hope tho the laziness doesn't extend to maintenance. Outdoor, more exposure to moisture, means you want to keep it well maintained - quick rinse and lube after each ride or once a week is what I go for (and that's with indoor).

I don't mind working on stuff. It's just looking for any excuse not to go out I want to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

yeah I know what you mean - I need to move soon and near top of the list is "cycle accessibility and maintenance" - I wasn't really having a pop at you being lazy - more so if you have to keep it outside, you can expect the chain to rust a bit quicker etc.- i.e. if you don't keep on top of it. So if you miss a week and it's pouring rain and you haven't kept the drive chain clean and lubed then you are going to have more to do next time you go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

How's your DIY? You could easily build a custom enclosure to suit your bike and space available if you are that way inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I put one of these on the side passage, just to keep the rain off the kids bikes (the longest version is 3m long).
    It's not going to keep them 100% dry especially if it's windy, but it keeps the worst of the weather off.

oinkely wrote: »
    How's your DIY? You could easily build a custom enclosure to suit your bike and space available if you are that way inclined.

Not that good, which is why I want an off the shelf option.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    I put one of these on the side passage, just to keep the rain off the kids bikes (the longest version is 3m long).
    It's not going to keep them 100% dry especially if it's windy, but it keeps the worst of the weather off.

Looks good but not really suitable for where I'll be keeping the bike, but something might be an option. I'm still hoping to find something to keep the bike inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ARX

I searched as I thought that there would be one but couldn't find it.

How about this?

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2755126/Trail/searchtext%3EOutdoor+storage.htm
    I have one of those and you would only get a couple of childrens' bikes into it, perhaps a very small adult's bike at a push. The quality is adequate rather than good - it's held together with self-tapping screws and you have to be careful on assembly to get the panels lined up before you drive the screws in. You need to secure it to the ground or weigh it down with blocks or something like that on the corners of the floor or it will shift in the wind.

How about one of these?

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8844505/Trail/searchtext%3EKETER.htm

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2476773/Trail/searchtext%3EKETER.htm

ARX wrote: »
    I have one of those and you would only get a couple of childrens' bikes into it, perhaps a very small adult's bike at a push. The quality is adequate rather than good - it's held together with self-tapping screws and you have to be careful on assembly to get the panels lined up before you drive the screws in. You need to secure it to the ground or weigh it down with blocks or something like that on the corners of the floor or it will shift in the wind.

How about one of these?

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8844505/Trail/searchtext%3EKETER.htm

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/2476773/Trail/searchtext%3EKETER.htm

They just seem way to expensive for what you are getting because you need to fit a bike. Checked a site earlier and found a 7x3 box for <€200 but no doors only a lid same place has a smaller box with doors that said bicycle for a few hundred more, it doesn't cost several hundred Euro to mould 2 plastic panels instead of one. And there is no way that there is triple the cost to make boxes above vs the one in my OP.

Will probably have to buy one like them, I'll then have to figure out how to stop them stealing the expensive box never mind the bike, but I'll keep looking for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Would your street be appropriate for a Bike Bunker? https://bikebunkers.ie/

Would your street be appropriate for a Bike Bunker? https://bikebunkers.ie/

They look cool. Unfortunately I'm in a private development in South Dublin so they aren't an option from a council and with the mix of properties in my development there wouldn't be enough demand for the OMC to look into installing them.

Advertisement