Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Age limit

• 23-03-2021 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭

Two years ago there seemed to be a lot of talk of the age limit being removed for becoming a Gardaí,
    I believe 2 lads actually took cases to court and won 12 grand each over age discrimination

Just wondering has anyone heard talk of it changing recently ?

Comments

Two years ago there seemed to be a lot of talk of the age limit being removed for becoming a Gardaí,
    I believe 2 lads actually took cases to court and won 12 grand each over age discrimination

Just wondering has anyone heard talk of it changing recently ?

I beleieve this was among the items under review as instructed the policing commisions report.

As for when or if we are every likely to see a change to that number, hard to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I think being below a certain age is a not a reasonable requirement to have. There are plenty 45 year old people who are fitter and stronger than 20 year old people and more importantly, more life experience and probably more wise as to how you should approach a difficult situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Constable1

I think being below a certain age is a not a reasonable requirement to have. There are plenty 45 year old people who are fitter and stronger than 20 year old people and more importantly, more life experience and probably more wise as to how you should approach a difficult situation.

Although suitable and really good people do end up in the GS, the recruitment criteria and process has never been designed to maximise getting the most suitable recruits. I remember when the age criteria was 18-26...just (another) inappropriate way to shortlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Constable1 wrote: »
    Although suitable and really good people do end up in the GS, the recruitment criteria and process has never been designed to maximise getting the most suitable recruits. I remember when the age criteria was 18-26...just (another) inappropriate way to shortlist.

I’m not sure why any decent person would want to join that organisation these days - to be abused / spat at / assaulted - treated like a nobody as in the government not giving a damn and probably assisting into making police super spreaders by not giving them the jab , lack of resources - top heavy with management , complete oversight as is correct - however - taking forever to investigate complaints - never prosecuting spurious complaints -
    Think twice

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Constable1

I’m not sure why any decent person would want to join that organisation these days - to be abused / spat at / assaulted - treated like a nobody as in the government not giving a damn and probably assisting into making police super spreaders by not giving them the jab , lack of resources - top heavy with management , complete oversight as is correct - however - taking forever to investigate complaints - never prosecuting spurious complaints -
    Think twice

It's not without its flaws, but I'd join in a heartbeat...if I was within the age limit!

I think it's just something in your psyche...despite all the negatives...that makes certain people want to do the job. More power to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,511 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Think twice

In my younger days I wouldn't have thought twice about it but as I got older I really wouldn't mind doing it can giving back and trying to help the good people of our country ,

The pay is what would turn me off , I was asking the question for a family member

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

In my younger days I wouldn't have thought twice about it but as I got older I really wouldn't mind doing it can giving back and trying to help the good people of our country ,

The pay is what would turn me off , I was asking the question for a family member

The pay is good if your committed - the higher ranks are quite well remunerative

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Iguarantee

I reckon it’s a very, very interesting job that I would have done once upon a time but the pay (compared to the private sector) doesn’t suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KevinMcDonald123

If I applied for the next recruitment drive at 19 years of age what would my chances be of being successful? Have 19 year olds got in before ? Thanks

This is a question that comes up fairly often, and I imagine a lot of people ask themselves this.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to answer it, but I'll give you my thoughts.

You wont be discounted on the basis of age alone, nor will your age move you up or down the order of merit.

The reality is you will be judged relative to, and in competition with, people who are likely to have more life experience.

Its easiest to understand why that matters by taking the interview stage as an example, in the interview, they will have the chance to call upon that experience to illusrtate for the panel why they would be suitable for the role.

Your challenge will be to overcome that relative lack of life and particular work experience throughout the process. Your goal is to convince a panel you are both mature and capable of dealing with the situations you are invetibaly going to be faced with as a member.

Speaking from my own experience, at 19 I know I wouldnt have even made it out of training - but there are far more capable young people than I was, and if thats you, there is no reason you cant give this a shot.

One final word, unlike other jobs in life, applying and not making it in to AGS is almost never seen as a bad thing (obvious exceptions aside), so the experience youd get in giving it a shot will stand to you massively should you not be successful first time and decide to try again in later years. I know several members who would have what I consider good careers behind them now, who applied more than once.

Hope that helped a bit.

• Advertisement
Advertisement