Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At risk group & vaccine- lost in the system?

• 23-03-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi All

I am in the over 70s group in terms of vaccinations and I have not heard anything clear in relation to the vaccine (I am on immunosuppresive medication). My consultant told me to contact my GP, but my GP clinic told me that they have not yet heard anything from the HSE in relation to vaccinating this group, and that they have been told that they are not responsible for these vaccines and they will be done in one of the mass vaccination centres.

Is anyone else immunocomprimised and waiting to get vaccinated? Would be interesting to hear what other GP clinics are advising. I feel like I am lost in the system at the moment!

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Forget about being immunocompromised. There are no concrete plans at the moment to vaccinate those who are immunosuppressed.

You are over 70 so you will be vaccinated as part of this cohort. 70 to 75 vaccination was meant to start this week via your GP however deliveries have been hit and miss and most gps getting about 30 to 40% of what they need. So itll come but is dependant on the supply. But itll be as part of the age cohort.... not the immunosuppressed cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭horsey63

Agree Wesser, although I am a little bit younger than OP, I take a drug to suppress my immune system due to lupus and GP has said I will definately NOT be getting the vaccine any time soon as per the HSE guidelines.

You should be contacted soon as they aim to complete all over 70s by mid May, that means some/lots won't receive first dose until after mid April.
    The very best of luck to you, my Dad's in a similar position.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 JudyN

Hi All, thanks for the replies! Don't think my first message was clear but I'm actually in my late 20s and immunosuppred.

When I contacted my GP about the vaccine (as advised by my consultant) I was told that the immunosuppressed will not be vaccinated by GPs which is where I was left confused. Apparently they are planning to vaccinate the immunosuppressed (who are in same cohort as over 70s) seperately in mass vaccination centres but I haven't heard anything about this yet and I'm not sure who to contact now.

We are having the same issue with my father. He has diabetes but because it is controlled he will not be called in cohort 4 for this. His bmi is over 40 though so technically he is in cohort 4. We just do not know how to get him on the list. Both GP and Diabetes clinic said they have nothing to do with vaccines for those with High BMI.

• Advertisement

JudyN wrote: »
    Hi All

I am in the over 70s group in terms of vaccinations and I have not heard anything clear in relation to the vaccine.............
    Hi All, thanks for the replies! Don't think my first message was clear but I'm actually in my late 20s and immunosuppred................

Ok, that does make more sense.... so the over 70s are Group 3...
    https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html#group3

Order of vaccinations for people over 70
    Vaccinations will be offered in the following order to people aged:

85 and older.
    80 to 84.
    75 to 79.
    70 to 74.
    We expect to have everyone in this group vaccinated, with both doses, by the middle of May.

You would be Group 4 ......https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/rollout-covid-19-vaccines-ireland.html#group4

We will start to vaccinate people from group 4 through their hospital team. It will take some time to identify and invite everyone in this group but we will move as quickly as possible.

You do not need to register in advance or take any action at this time. Your hospital or healthcare team will contact you when it’s your turn to be vaccinated.

There's commitment to vaccinate Group 3 by mid May so all of them should receive first dose mid April ish at the latest, there's no timeline in the public domain for when Group4 will be completed.

Hi judy.

The immunosuppressed and the over 70s are not in the same cohort.

Vaccinations for the immunosupressed wre not organised yet. More waiting un fortunately

Don't understand why are said you are in the iver 70 s group when you are in your 20s

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Immuno-compromised and have several auto immune conditions. GPs aren’t vaccinating my peers, has to be done through your treating hospital, so check with them .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I'm in my 30s and immunocompromised. Word from my consultant is that it's only people on certain immunosuppressive medications that will be given priority in category 4 and 7. The vast majority of us won't be considered at any higher risk. I'll be done under category 7 because of my weight. Otherwise I'd have to wait until they do my age group even though I'm immunocompromised.

Yes thats correct. Some medications suppress the immune system stronger than others.

• Advertisement

Yes my medication is a biologic drug and categorises me as cohort 7 (it is on the list). My consultant said to call GP, GP said I'll be called by the HSE... so who knows!

Wesser wrote: »
    Hi judy.

The immunosuppressed and the over 70s are not in the same cohort.

Vaccinations for the immunosupressed wre not organised yet. More waiting un fortunately

Don't understand why are said you are in the iver 70 s group when you are in your 20s

I said I am in that group because people on certain immunosuppressive drugs (listed on the HSE website), along with people over 70, are all in cohort 7. Well, they were until yesterday! Apologies if that was unclear in my first message but if you read the lists on the HSE website you will see they are in the same group.

GPs will be vaccinating cohort 4 and cohort 7. Are you in these cohorts?
    There will be an information webinar for them next week on how it is going to happen. Up until then your GP doesnt know how it is going to work. Even after that the dates of the delivery have not been firmed up. Even when they confirm dates of delivery.... the hse dont always deliver vaccine on the dates theysay they will.

So in summary its all up.n the air.... youll just have to wait. By my knowledge youll be vaccinated likely at tbe end of april.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I said I am in that group because people on certain immunosuppressive drugs (listed on the HSE website), along with people over 70, are all in cohort 7. Well, they were until yesterday! Apologies if that was unclear in my first message but if you read the lists on the HSE website you will see they are in the same group.

People over 70 are cohort 3. They're vaccinating them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Daniel2021

I saw BMI greater than 40 mentioned earlier in the thread. People with BMI greater than 40 are in cohort 4 but has anyone heard how these people will be identified? A relative is in this category and I rang their GP on their behalf during the week and they had no idea. They arent at cohort 4 in the practice yet.

It's not like other conditions where the person would be under the care of a consultant or a hospital.

Your gp may use coding in the practice software to identify people wirh bmi> 40. This means if they have coded for this condition they can use search features in their software to generate a list of these patients

This will not capture everyone with a bmi of 40.
    Some patients will self identify to tbeir gps and some will be missed and will get a catch up vaccine at a later stage.

Your gp may use coding in the practice software to identify people wirh bmi> 40. This means if they have coded for this condition they can use search features in their software to generate a list of these patients

This will not capture everyone with a bmi of 40.
    Some patients will self identify to tbeir gps and some will be missed and will get a catch up vaccine at a later stage.

Ya that is my fear that they will be missed. It was also the reason I rang the GP as I thought they may be keep a list for people who come forward. I was disappointed when the receptionist said they dont know yet. I asked my relative and she said the GP hasnt weighed her in years.

Yes.... mot much info yet.

Information webinar for gps on tuesday

If youve let him know that your bmi is > 40 then she will contact you when the vaccines arrive

Yes.... mot much info yet.

Information webinar for gps on tuesday

If youve let him know that your bmi is > 40 then she will contact you when the vaccines arrive

Thanks hopefully but I'm not sure.

When I first rang the receptionist took my relatives name and said she would ask the doctor and asked me to ring back later. I rang a few hours later and it was another receptionist and she was very dismissive saying they dont know. I will ring again in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Daniel2021 wrote: »
    Thanks hopefully but I'm not sure.

When I first rang the receptionist took my relatives name and said she would ask the doctor and asked me to ring back later. I rang a few hours later and it was another receptionist and she was very dismissive saying they dont know. I will ring again in a couple of weeks.

Receptionists are under a lot of pressure and they really don’t know. At the moment GPs are only vaccinating over 70’s.

The public will know as soon as the doctors when and if they will get vaccines for patients who fall into other groups. By then some of those patients will have received vaccines in hospitals and the mass vaccination centres so it is pointless to take names or draw up lists yet.
    It is frustrating for everyone.

• Advertisement

echo beach wrote: »
    Receptionists are under a lot of pressure and they really don’t know. At the moment GPs are only vaccinating over 70’s.

The public will know as soon as the doctors when and if they will get vaccines for patients who fall into other groups. By then some of those patients will have received vaccines in hospitals and the mass vaccination centres so it is pointless to take names or draw up lists yet.
    It is frustrating for everyone.

Ya I get that and it did seem the 2nd one was frustrated. In fairness she was polite as was I. The first receptionist had been so helpful and I appreciated her taking the time to ask the doctor. Hopefully they will know more in the coming weeks. My relative is happy to wait until its her turn based on her age but if she is entitled to get it as part of cohort 4 I will do my best to make sure she gets it when she is entitled to it.

Some GP clinics locally are doing cohort 4. I know a few with CF that have been vaccinated in the past week.

Those age 18 to 59 in cohort 4 and cohort 7 and now going to be offered a pfizer vaccine by their gp in may and june.

Please dont all call your gp tomorrow. They are already flooded with telephone calls.

Information is being disseminated to GP s over the next few days.

Advertisement