Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wallpaper split at joins

Options
  • 23-03-2021 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭

For the last 1-2 years I've noticed wallpaper on front wall split and open up. If you tap the wall in certain areas it sounds different -maybe hollow.

I had a builder check it and he reckons it's "cold bridging".

He recommends putting up insulation 50mm I think.

In fairness I never opened window in the room and he reckons it's condensation.

He won't just fix the plaster as he says it will happen again. Any ideas?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 452 ✭✭Sharpyshoot

Why won’t you air the room?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Why won’t you air the room?

I should have and it should stop any further damage but it look's terrible as on the full length off the wall each join if you like is split.

Getting the full wall insulated seems overkill to me. Maybe I should give it 6 months and see if it stops?

He even said wall should dry out if I air room properly. It looks like in parts if I pulled off the paper the plaster would fall off.

Also I have a double electrical plug socket in one corner. Do they just cut hole in the Insulation before fitting? Extend socket out?

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Also I have a double electrical plug socket in one corner. Do they just cut hole in the Insulation before fitting? Extend socket out?
    Insulated plasterboard I assume?

Sockets, doorways, skirtings, window boards etc may all need adjusted to account for thicker walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

If the plaster is rotten (I forget the technical term) it's only going to get worse until you fix the underlying damp problem

One fix is to take it all off with a chisel and lump hammer (edit: a bolster chisel and a mallet sorta hammer) and put up new insulated slabs then skim them, messy but not mega expensive.

• Advertisement

Yes builder wants to put up 50mil i think plasterboard. I was an idiot not opening up windows for the last few years. He also noticed outside a crack in the windowsill which he said he wouid clean out and re-seal but he still reckons it's condensation.

Advertisement