Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to next?

Options
  • 22-03-2021 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Hi am tracing back my mothers tree and just recently found out my maternal grandfather Albert John Porter died in 1946 not as I originally thought 1962.

Any ideas on how to find his burial.cremation details.

It would seem that he is more likely buried as an index of crematoria doesn't have one in West Bromwich until 1962 ( the nearest in 1946 being in Birmingham )

Do I just contact the various churches that were near to his home address when he died or is there a directory somewhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Have you tried sourcing a newspaper death notice?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

found nothing so far, would there be many archives for 1946 newspapers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The British News Archive (also available at Find My Past) or the Irish News Archive if he had Irish connections that might have placed a notice.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You can also just try googling "West Bromich" cemeteries and seeing what places come up. Findagrave and other volunteer-sourced sites will probably have something.

If he was a particular religion, that might led you to a church graveyard.

We're mainly focused on Irish genealogy on this board but you can get more specific advice by selecting the relevant county board on Rootschat.com.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

The local authority for the area would manage cemeteries in their jurisdiction. One enquiry to them might cover several possible locations. Check proximity to hospital where he may have died or home address.

• Advertisement
Advertisement