Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To whack or not to whack

Options
  • 22-03-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I'm putting down a shed base using hardcore and plastic grab tiles.

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/floplast-ground-grab-tiles-402-x-402-x-55mm-20-pack/55689

Have dug out the sod and have a layer of about 3 inches of hardcore down. Under the soil was very stony and seems to be very solid. Do I need to whack/tamp the hardcore to make it totally solid or will I get away with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

When you say hardcore, what size stone are you talking about ?
    Ideally I would have thought the finished surface of hardcore would need to be relatively smooth and level to ensure the grids sit firm.
    When you say hardcore I'm thinking 50mm plus stone size ? Maybe your's is more gravelly with fines mixed through.
    No harm to compact by rolling or tapping with even say a concrete block.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

DIY KING wrote: »
    When you say hardcore, what size stone are you talking about ?
    Ideally I would have thought the finished surface of hardcore would need to be relatively smooth and level to ensure the grids sit firm.
    When you say hardcore I'm thinking 50mm plus stone size ? Maybe your's is more gravelly with fines mixed through.
    No harm to compact by rolling or tapping with even say a concrete block.

It's an 804 mix with fines in it. Compacting will definitely make it finer.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Ah grand, 804 is the job. Yes I would say compact it so far as is practical. You'll know from walking on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What are you going to fill the tiles with?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,312 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whack as otherwise the plastic may not stay completely flat.
    why the plastic anyway?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

whack as otherwise the plastic may not stay completely flat.
    why the plastic anyway?

Supposed to be a good base in terms of strength and air circulation under the shed. They will lift the shed a decent bit above what is basically a waterlogged garden for 4/5 months of the year.

Lumen wrote: »
    What are you going to fill the tiles with?

Lots of people use pea gravel but apparently it is not necessary. Will put a weed barrier on top of the 804 and then the plastic yokies on top.

Thanks all, was trying to avoid getting a wacker as I my back is a bit gammy and would be concerned about lifting it out of the car. Will see if I can get a local place someone to drop off and collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/roughneck-10-tamper/63805

you could do it by hand..

or rent a smaller one that isn't as bad to lift.. Most places should have a few different size ones.
    I just about managed to lift a big one out of the back of my l200 by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Corkey123

As regards lifting the structure off the ground, have a look at the following. This guy is amazing as a one handed wood worker. He is currently building his own shed and is using dedicated lifts to keep it off the ground for the same reasons. 7 mins 31 Secs into the video

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07FXZ1YY5/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B07FXZ1YY5&linkCode=as2&tag=75handicraft-21&linkId=e664d027d41f8452186a43bc0ddacd14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think the plastic is a load of hoop in this application and wouldnt bother with it, wasted money. Id compact it because you should to bind it and level it properly. Also as its being raised make sure the underneath is sealed with water vapour barrier or all the water generated in the soil beneath will float right up into the shed. (And thats Crap)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've moved a fair bit of hardcore and 804 and tbh with 804 you get as much benefit from a wacker plate as you do from a good shower of rain.

The only real advantage of the wacker plate is that it will help level out the surface.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement