Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber decking refurb plus Osmo non-slip top coat

Options
  • 22-03-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Circa 21 sq m timber deck with grooved boards, 4.8m x 4.4m about 15 years old. Bit tired looking but structurally in good shape.
    Prefer to go with oils and thinking along the lines of:

1. Powerwash and scrub with Ronseal decking cleaner €8
    2. Apply 1 coat Sadolin clear decking oil - 2.5l €31
    3. Apply 1 coat Osmo 430 Anti-slip decking oil - 2.5l €72

Despite the grooves, decking can be slippy when wet and while I accept the Osmo wont cure it completely it should help. Just wondering if the cost of Osmo can be justified in this instance. Not too may other non-slip oils out there ?
    Open to suggestions on all aspects of above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

DIY KING wrote: »
    Circa 21 sq m timber deck with grooved boards, 4.8m x 4.4m about 15 years old. Bit tired looking but structurally in good shape.
    Prefer to go with oils and thinking along the lines of:

1. Powerwash and scrub with Ronseal decking cleaner €8
    2. Apply 1 coat Sadolin clear decking oil - 2.5l €31
    3. Apply 1 coat Osmo 430 Anti-slip decking oil - 2.5l €72

Despite the grooves, decking can be slippy when wet and while I accept the Osmo wont cure it completely it should help. Just wondering if the cost of Osmo can be justified in this instance. Not too may other non-slip oils out there ?
    Open to suggestions on all aspects of above.

https://www.morrells.co.uk/products/wood-finishes/architectural-coatings/holzol-wood-oils/holzol-deck-oil/

I used this on my fathers deck last year as an oil. Its 30 euro for 2.5L in morrells.
    I find high voc content oils are much better. I tried ronseal last year and it was just a mess.
    I think the slippy ness comes from the green mossy stuff. Id go with a good clean and oil and see where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Thanks for that, I'm not familiar with that brand but looks good.
    I will give them a bell tomorrow.
    How many coats and what is coverage like ? Did you use clear or coloured ?
    I see they also do a non-slip decking oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

DIY KING wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I'm not familiar with that brand but looks good.
    I will give them a bell tomorrow.
    How many coats and what is coverage like ? Did you use clear or coloured ?
    I see they also do a non-slip decking oil.

It was late in the year so only did one coat. But we didnt finish the coat in one day and the overlap was very noticable. Coverage was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,037 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Do non slip coatings make it harder to clean?

I'd have thought that a yearly anti fungal/moss treatment would be cheap and effective.

Clean wet wood isn't slippery.

Advertisement