Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self harming

• 22-03-2021 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just found out our daughter (13) is self harming - cutting herself

We're devastated as we had no idea, we know things are often difficult for first years and especially so in the circumstances of the last year, but she seemed to be doing so well, excellent reports and making friends etc. We've always tried not to put pressure on her, she is very clever (one of the top in the country in a maths competition the school entered her in) but she seems to be putting a lot of pressure on herself.

There is a lack of other outlets of course. She says every day is just school. There is a youth club which she enjoys but even with social distancing they've had to restrict their meetings to about one a month. She says thie self harming started after the last mid-term when she went back to school and she feels better when she is off school.

I can understand feeling down about things, a few months back I got depressed and my wife had to practically drag me into the doctor, can relate to the every day feeling the same thing, just keeping the job ticking over. Just talking about things helped me a lot, no meds, I'm more upbeat now, or at least I was until today.

Our marriage is in good shape, she has one younger sibling who appears to be doing fine, one surviving grandparent who lives very nearby and who has as close a relationship as possible under the circumstances.

This is a shock, totally out of the blue, not really sure what to do next tbh and my other half is feeling the same.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Mod Note

I'm sorry to read your post OP, it must be a shock to you and the family. However, given the seriousness of the issue, I really think the best thing you can do is contact your GP and ask for their professional help. There are numbers here also, including a contact number for Pieta House, which helps people in similar situations. But I think your GP is your first port of call and you should make contact with them today.

On that basis I'm going to close the thread there and wish you and your daughter all the best.

Thanks

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement