Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFH manifold help

Options
  • 21-03-2021 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

In the linked photo, the first four actuators are linked to the same thermostat, however the 4th from the left does not let any hot water through like the 3 to the left. I am thinking it's because the valve above it closed. There is a key on the first valve so I'm thinking if I use this then I can open it and send hot water to the 4th loop.

The 1st loop is for the sunroom (just off the kitchen) and the next two are for the kitchen (8mx5m) and the 4th one is for the porch just off the kitchen.

I'd like to turn on the heat for the porch as it's a bit damp however, it's been off since we bought the house and I didn't want to do too much messing. Maybe the previous owner (who had it built) turned it off to save cost or worse still the loop is faulty.

Is there anything I should be aware off before I turn on the valve for this loop and anything I should watch out for re the pressure of the system after I turn it on?

547603.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,332 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

funnyname wrote: »
    In the linked photo, the first four actuators are linked to the same thermostat, however the 4th from the left does not let any hot water through like the 3 to the left. I am thinking it's because the valve above it closed. There is a key on the first valve so I'm thinking if I use this then I can open it and send hot water to the 4th loop.

The 1st loop is for the sunroom (just off the kitchen) and the next two are for the kitchen (8mx5m) and the 4th one is for the porch just off the kitchen.

I'd like to turn on the heat for the porch as it's a bit damp however, it's been off since we bought the house and I didn't want to do too much messing. Maybe the previous owner (who had it built) turned it off to save cost or worse still the loop is faulty.

Is there anything I should be aware off before I turn on the valve for this loop and anything I should watch out for re the pressure of the system after I turn it on?

547603.jpg

Id possibly get a plumber to maybe pressure test that loop cold on its own - you should at least know then if its water tight or not.
    You could be running heating for a fair while before seeing an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Could just be the actuator
    Swap one of the working ones over and see does that do it

Btw the wiring of that system is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give a plumber a shout as I have a couple of other jobs that need doing.

Re the wiring, any suggestions for how it could/should be improved. The longer we live in this house the more we find out things have been done not as well as they should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

funnyname wrote: »

Re the wiring, any suggestions for how it could/should be improved.

It really needs to be redone. All those connections shouldn’t be exposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭funnyname

I took a closer look at the manifold tonight and saw that of the 10 loops, 2 of the valves at the top feed are closed and 8 are open.

I then turned on the ufh and set each individual thermostat to come on one at a time.

The four thermostats control as outlined below, loops 1 and 10 always come on when anyone of the thermostats are on, loops 7 & 9 are closed at the valve and it seems that even though loop 4 is open at the valve no water is being called to the loop so maybe the actuator is faulty.

Thermostat 1
    loop 1 - sunroom
    loop 2 - kitchen 1
    loop 3 - kitchen 2
    loop 4 - kitchen 3 & porch

Thermostat 2
    loop 5 - sitting room 1
    loop 6 - sitting room 2

Thermostat 3
    loop 7 - bedroom
    loop 8 - en-suite

Thermostat 4