Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera - Canon 7D Mkii - Downloading problem

Options
  • 20-03-2021 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi
    When I connect my USB cable from the Camera to my computer, my Canon 7D mkii will not show up in the computer library.
    When I plug in the USB lead into the USB port - it makes the normal connection sound.
    It will work if I take out the SD card & use in a car-reader.
    It will also work in my Laptop.
    I am using the most recent firmware.
    I use Windows.
    I've re-booted the PC several times.

Has anyone come across this problem & if yes, how did you have it fixed.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Conology wrote: »
    When I connect my USB cable from the Camera to my computer, my Canon 7D mkii will not show up in the computer library.
    When I plug in the USB lead into the USB port - it makes the normal connection sound.
    It will work if I take out the SD card & use in a car-reader.
    It will also work in my Laptop.

I'm assuming you're talking about two different things here: that the Camera (with card inside) doesn't show up as an external drive in Windows, but if you take the card out and place it directly into the laptop card slot, you can see/read/move the files?

If that's the case then there's obviously no problem with the card and the fault lies with the USB connection.

There are four wires in a USB cable, two of which are for power, two for data. If one of the data wires is broken, you will get the connection sound and the device will draw power/show as charging, but the computer and device will not share any data.

You can check this easily using any other device with the same USB cable. An android phone is probably the easiest, as you'll either get a prompt on the phone asking if you want to share files (if the cable is working) or not. Such a fault can be at either the "computer" end of the cable or the "device" end, and until the wire snaps completely, can sometimes remain useable with the cable bent at a certain angle.

You can use a different USB cable too, but be aware that some that were supplied with older phones were only ever intended to carry power - they don't have the two data wires, so will never work for file transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Hi
    "I'm assuming you're talking about two different things here: that the Camera (with card inside) doesn't show up as an external drive in Windows, but if you take the card out and place it directly into the laptop card slot, you can see/read/move the files?"
    NO - I leave the card in the Camera - - it shows up on my Laptop - but not the PC

Are you running the same version of Windows on both PC and laptop?

Are you running the same version of Windows on both PC and laptop?
    That is a good question -
    I've checked both.
    The PC is very new - about 6 months old - it has Windows 10 - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor.

The Laptop is several years. - but also uses Windows 10 Home - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Thanks for your help

Ah right. Did the camera ever show on the PC? Or are you only finding out now for the first time that it's not connecting?

And have you installed Canon's DPP viewer (or other Canon software) on the PC? It sounds like the PC is missing a driver, which would normally be installed as part of one of those packages.

It seems you're not alone in having this kind of problem (old thread, unresolved) although they're few and far between, and no particular pattern to them.

• Advertisement

Ah right. Did the camera ever show on the PC? Or are you only finding out now for the first time that it's not connecting?

It always connected before. This problem has only come in the last week or so.

I had all of the Canon Software on it.
    I've uninstalled it now & I'm going to re-install it & see what happens

Update - Tit says - "the software to be updated could not be found - Insert the CD Rom " - unfortunately - I don't have this ??

Sounds like a Windows update messed up something.

You should be able to download everything you need from the Canon support site

Sounds like a Windows update messed up something.

Thats possible

You should be able to download everything you need from the Canon support site
    I've tried several times - it stops at the CD Rom required step unfortunately

:confused:

That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you're trying to install some really ancient software ... If that's the case, you might have to install a driver pack first.

Not sure I can do much more for you at a distance; and in any case, I have to go out for the afternoon, so will have to pass the baton to someone else for now.

:confused:

That doesn't make a lot of sense, unless you're trying to install some really ancient software ... If that's the case, you might have to install a driver pack first.

Not sure I can do much more for you at a distance; and in any case, I have to go out for the afternoon, so will have to pass the baton to someone else for now.

No problem... I'll give you the rest of the afternoon off (Lol)
    Thanks for your help - much appreciated

• Advertisement
Advertisement