Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install my own stove?

Options
  • 19-03-2021 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I'm looking to install a multi-fuel stove in an extension at the back of my house. Not too big, 6 or 7Kw will do. I'm in a semi-D two story house, so the flue piping would have to go up the back wall of house, and clear the soffit boards by a few feet. I'm being quoted mad money for an install. I'm fairly handy, is this a job I could take on myself? Is it a case of install the stove on a hearth, run the flue out the top, through the wall of.extension, and up the back of the house (held with brackets), tightening with the proper fire cement as I go? Am I running any risks by thinking of taking this on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,767 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

kelbal wrote: »
    Hi guys. I'm looking to install a multi-fuel stove in an extension at the back of my house. Not too big, 6 or 7Kw will do. I'm in a semi-D two story house, so the flue piping would have to go up the back wall of house, and clear the soffit boards by a few feet. I'm being quoted mad money for an install. I'm fairly handy, is this a job I could take on myself? Is it a case of install the stove on a hearth, run the flue out the top, through the wall of.extension, and up the back of the house (held with brackets), tightening with the proper fire cement as I go? Am I running any risks by thinking of taking this on?

It’s not a diy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Out of interest when you say mad money how much are people looking?
    The stainless twin wall flue, bends etc. are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s not a diy job.

spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Out of interest when you say mad money how much are people looking?
    The stainless twin wall flue, bends etc. are expensive.

Abouit €3600 supplied and installed

• Subscribers Posts: 41,290 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

how will TGD J affect you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Dont think you'll be covered by your home insurance in the event of a fire.

I was going to do mine as well but was talked out of it. Was so glad I was in the end because it was a mare of a job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

How much of the quote is labour though, that is what is relevant, there may also be consequences on warranty if not done by proper installer
    For something like a stove I don't think it is worth the hassle to do it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 18,279 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's not a great job running the pipe outside the wall. If it a single story extension run it out through the roof.

Slava Ukrainii

Abouit €3600 supplied and installed

You would get a woodpellet burner installed for that kind of money. I presume you are around Dublin

Slava Ukrainii

BPM supplies do some good videos on stove installs.
    Mine was very straight forward.
    More time enlarging/making good the opening than fitting the stove.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BPMSUPPLLES/videos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

Why everyone is against DIY. If you are handy and follow manufacturer install guides is doable.

I installed a stove in my existing fireplace a few years ago and it was not a huge job.
    it included:
    - install a flex flue pipe on existing chimney
    - enlarge the fireplace
    - top plate
    - fit a cast iron stove
    - flue pipes from stove to flex flue

Dusty job, but can be done and saved at least 1k euro for the labor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

serox_21 wrote: »
    Why everyone is against DIY. If you are handy and follow manufacturer install guides is doable.

I installed a stove in my existing fireplace a few years ago and it was not a huge job.
    it included:
    - enlarge the fireplace
    - top plate
    - fit a cast iron stove

Because people on boards are too the book.
    Insurance could come into play here if its a botch job, Ie: using a single flue and coming up through the rafters could easily cause fire.

Having said that, I have done this DIY and 10 years on theres no issues

Some here are afraid to sweep their own chimney or climb a ladder .

MOD NOTE. That's low level trolling and in no way helpfulto op. Any more of it will earn a warning.

Some here are afraid to sweep their own chimney or climb a ladder .

MOD SNIP. Keep on topic.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

serox_21 wrote: »

it included:
    - enlarge the fireplace
    - top plate
    - fit a cast iron stove

I think it depends on the set-up, what is involved, and the capacity of the homeowner who may not appreciate the full scope of works, nor be in a position to identify issues they are presented with.

For the right homeowner, who is prepared to research the matter fully and take their time it may well be perfectly reasonable to install it themselves. I have yet to see an insurance policy which would be nullified by him installing a stove himself.

But when you don’t know the situation on the ground, and there are a number of potential serious consequences, it’s best to recommend professional installation.

I would price around.

Advertisement