Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options?!

Options
  • 19-03-2021 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭

I was with Energia when the contract finished about a month ago.SEE gave me a better deal and i switched, a couple of days later Energia came back with a better offer so i contacted SEE and cancelled my order with them (about 5 days into cooling off period)
    I kept receiving emails from SEE saying welcome, we're happy to have you onboard etc.Every time i got an email like this i rang them to confirm i had cancelled with them each time they agreed yes i had cancelled.I made 4 calls like this.
    Today i got an email telling me my first bill was due from SEE.Again i call them,this time they tell me that when i requested to cancel they contacted Energia but Energia didnt reply so they just left it at that and im with SEE now.They said its up to me to contact Energia and explain this?
    Surely this cant be right? To cancel during a cooling off period all i have to do is contact them,any miscommunications between themselves is nothing to do with me,my responsibility ends with making contact with them and cancelling.
    Has anyone heard of anything like this before or know what my options are?
    Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I wouldn’t get too excited about it. You have notified SSE that you are no longer proceeding. Several times even, so cancel any direct debit and leave them be.

Send a note to the energia rep telling them that you are staying with them, are sighing up to the new agreement and you trust SSE will transfer the MPRN back to Energia as requested.

Then leave it. If they still mess around and there are settlements to be made in the future it will likely be to your benefit. SSE are supplying you with electricity that you have expressly told them you don’t want. If I was them I wouldn’t expect to be getting paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭HBC08

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    I wouldn’t get too excited about it. You have notified SSE that you are no longer proceeding. Several times even, so cancel any direct debit and leave them be.

Send a note to the energia rep telling them that you are staying with them, are sighing up to the new agreement and you trust SSE will transfer the MPRN back to Energia as requested.

Then leave it. If they still mess around and there are settlements to be made in the future it will likely be to your benefit. SSE are supplying you with electricity that you have expressly told them you don’t want. If I was them I wouldn’t expect to be getting paid for it.

Unfortunately thats not how it works.If i cancel a direct debit then they will chase me for it (of course id never pay, it would be too small to allocate to a debt collecter,it wouldnt affect my credit rating) but it'd still be a pain in the arse.
    How would there be settlements made? I dont understand this line.
    Even though its SEEs issue/error it seems they have been supplying me with electricity for the last month so as frustrating as that is in their eyes i owe them for that.I also expect they would want a fee for me to exit the contract st this stage
    I was kind of looking for practical advice like how to start a complaint or try to resolve it.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

You have no contract with them and that really is the height of it. If you want them to engage more promptly a complaint or threat of complaint to the commission for energy regulation would be an option.

I had a similar occurrence with a different electricity supplier a couple of years ago. While they cancelled the contract as requested they failed to transfer the account back to my previous supplier (energia also). This state of flux remained for over nine months at which point it must have come to light and they transferred the MPRN to energia and the new account was established.

A couple of months after that a closing account bill came from the other supplier. I offered them something in the region of half of it and they agreed to credit the rest. By coincidence I am actually with them again now.

Advertisement