Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing your own customs clearance?

Options
  • 19-03-2021 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Is it possible or practical for a company to do act as their own clearing agent and do their own customs processing?

We've just finished the "paperwork" to take a work vehicle in from the UK, many weeks of over and back between our new clearing agent (who are absolutely swamped!), typing declarations, signing authorisations, topping up ROS accounts, etc. After all this toing-and-froing, we get a "PBN" number for shipping and a one-page document for the shipper!

I'm not belittling the work of the clearing agents but I'm wondering is this something companies can do themselves for relatively standard items?

Is anyone here looking after their own imports?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

dollylama wrote: »
    Is it possible or practical for a company to do act as their own clearing agent and do their own customs processing?

We've just finished the "paperwork" to take a work vehicle in from the UK, many weeks of over and back between our new clearing agent (who are absolutely swamped!), typing declarations, signing authorisations, topping up ROS accounts, etc. After all this toing-and-froing, we get a "PBN" number for shipping and a one-page document for the shipper!

I'm not belittling the work of the clearing agents but I'm wondering is this something companies can do themselves for relatively standard items?

Is anyone here looking after their own imports?

First of all, it really depends on the amount of Customs declarations you expect to do. By the sound of it there may not be that many? The question is, is it worth the additional work?

Also, how many different items do you clear? Are the customs entries single items (one commodity code) or multiple items? And do you know how to select the correct customs tariff number?

You would need to train one or two staff members. There are courses available through CILT Skillnet and the Irish Exporters association.

Then there is the issue of software selection. You can only present customs declarations electronically. You would need to set up a TAN account to which you lodge the funds to Revenue.

Through Enterprise Ireland or your Local Enterprise Office you can apply for grants of upto € 9000 per employee if they are full time engaged in customs declarations, less if they work on a part time basis.

I am sure it is possible to set up to do your own customs declarations. However there is a lot of knowledge to be acquired. Customs law (as derived from EU law) is not an easy subject.

You may want to check these companies out for the customs software;

https://www.declaron.ie/

They have a DIY solution

Other software providers are;

https://www.thyme-it.ie/

https://www.customsmatters.com/

Hope this gives you food for thought? If you need any further information or assistance, just ask.

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

Hi Rudolf289,

How powerful are these IT systems? Do they offer anything over an electronic connection with the revenue filing system? I’m trying to decide whether to in-house my customs filing or stick with a broker. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement