Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newpark Comprehensive

Options
  • 19-03-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi - looking for people to share their thoughts/experiences of Newpark Comprehensive in Blackrock and what its strengths/weaknesses are. We are considering it as a school for our daughter. We meet the criteria in terms of religion, attending feeder school etc. Our other option is St Andrews but it would be a bit of a stretch financially. I really don't like the idea of our daughter feeling awkward if she wasn't as well off as the other pupils. Wondering if we'd be better saving something for college/travel/to help her in other ways financially down the line than spend 6k+ per year on school fees, though I know Andrews is meant to be excellent. She's a good all rounder. Enjoys sport. Not especially into music. Quite academic. We've no strong feelings for or against fee paying schools generally and we aren't from Dublin originally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,283 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I worked in new park a few years back when parts were being done up. Now this is obviously a very narrow view and can’t speak for the academics end. It seemed a well ran school with very good facilities. The kids that obviously we had minimum interaction with seemed to be a good lot.

Owlet wrote: »
    Hi - looking for people to share their thoughts/experiences of Newpark Comprehensive in Blackrock and what its strengths/weaknesses are. We are considering it as a school for our daughter. We meet the criteria in terms of religion, attending feeder school etc. Our other option is St Andrews but it would be a bit of a stretch financially. I really don't like the idea of our daughter feeling awkward if she wasn't as well off as the other pupils. Wondering if we'd be better saving something for college/travel/to help her in other ways financially down the line than spend 6k+ per year on school fees, though I know Andrews is meant to be excellent. She's a good all rounder. Enjoys sport. Not especially into music. Quite academic. We've no strong feelings for or against fee paying schools generally and we aren't from Dublin originally.

two excellent schools, it is pretty much the opposite of the saying "Best of a bad bunch", whatever that may be. We have friends and relatives with kids at both schools and although we don't send ours there, I would have no hesitation in doing so.

We send ours to a private school and I wouldn't say we struggle, but there are definitely sacrifices to be made. Only material ones like not changing the car for six years and not getting on holidays as much as we would like. there are a few snobby self absorbed parents in the school, but 90% of the parents are in the same boat as us and are either making sacrifices or can only send their kids there because grand parents are picking up the tab. There has never been any suggestion of "My dad's richer than yours" from the kids, which is something I have heard can happen in another school in Blackrock :rolleyes:

I always get the impression that Andrews is a bit "Cramped" but that is only from going there to watch hockey matches, while Newpark is obviously shiny and new, but that is only from looking in.

It's a tough decision to make, but in my opinion, whatever decision you do make, it will not be a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Owlet wrote: »

I would say St Andrew’s is nearer to €8k tbh when you add in the bits and bobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Aegir wrote: »
    two excellent schools, it is pretty much the opposite of the saying "Best of a bad bunch", whatever that may be. We have friends and relatives with kids at both schools and although we don't send ours there, I would have no hesitation in doing so.

We send ours to a private school and I wouldn't say we struggle, but there are definitely sacrifices to be made. Only material ones like not changing the car for six years and not getting on holidays as much as we would like. there are a few snobby self absorbed parents in the school, but 90% of the parents are in the same boat as us and are either making sacrifices or can only send their kids there because grand parents are picking up the tab. There has never been any suggestion of "My dad's richer than yours" from the kids, which is something I have heard can happen in another school in Blackrock :rolleyes:

I always get the impression that Andrews is a bit "Cramped" but that is only from going there to watch hockey matches, while Newpark is obviously shiny and new, but that is only from looking in.

It's a tough decision to make, but in my opinion, whatever decision you do make, it will not be a bad one.

I much prefer the "your dad works for my dad" sung at rugby matches:)

I grew up beside Newpark. I didn't go there or send my own kids there but I know plenty who went there and are now sending their own kids there. They all seem a universally nice and well rounded bunch. It appears to cater for all sorts, academic or not, sporty or not..

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Owlet

Thanks everyone. Lots of helpful and encouraging replies. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement