Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick with Aksiums or not

Options
  • 18-03-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Is there any real benefit in a 5-600 euro set of wheels above Mavic Aksiums or do you really need to be spending more to get benefit of any kind? I don't think I want to be spending a grand or more on wheels and I'm then wondering of it is worth it at all.

Be interested to hear views of anyone who has upgraded in that kind of price bracket and has any recommendations either way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

For the money, Aksiums are absolutely brilliant. Strong, relatively light, and reasonably good looking. Not a massive difference between them and Ksyriums or Zondas, which are probably twice the price (300-400).

When you move up to 500-600 bracket you're getting some very tasty wheels indeed. In that range Hunt have some nice offerings.

Weight isn't everything. I mean, once you've crossed the threshold into sub-1500g wheels I think ride quality and sound become factors. Alsoo strength while being light is really important, unless you want to spend your days fixing spokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MojoMaker wrote: »
    For the money, Aksiums are absolutely brilliant. Strong, relatively light, and reasonably good looking.....
    I had a pair on one of my bikes but seemed to pop a spoke every few weeks. It put me off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Bought a set of hunt aero 33s carbon recently . They are lovely and make the bike far more comfortable. €930 they were. Well worth it cause I'd say they will last a while. 3 year warranty with them too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've put about 20k km on my front wheel, in all weathers, and it's been rock solid. i replaced the rear one because of a known issue which led to a creaking noise (but no actual impact on performance). i'd guess i've put 10k+ on that since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I have a pair of aksiums on my racer and have put thousands of happy miles .....

I bought a 2nd hand fully carbon bike with crap wheels so I bought a good friend's nearly new Ksyrium elite s for €350 with tyres .... not sure how much new but so far they feel nice ..... and as I needed tyres and wheels anyway I think it was a good buy....

Are they better???? A few of my segments would say I was faster since I changed wheels so maybe. ... I have no regrets anyway ...

Would I have paid more??? No not really .... im a tight fecker ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Zondas are very good. They look great and they are light.

Maybe a bad batch WA? Unless you're cranking out 3-figure kgs (and I sincerely doubt you are) you must have a weak wheel.

In nuclear fallout times there are few enough things that we know will survive - Mavic Aksiums make that very small list.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I had a pair on one of my bikes but seemed to pop a spoke every few weeks. It put me off them.

Replace the nipples with brass, alloy nipples stock to save weight are shiiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Maybe a bad batch WA? Unless you're cranking out 3-figure kgs (and I sincerely doubt you are) you must have a weak wheel..
    About 72kgs. ;) Yes, could have been a dud wheel. I should have said it was the rear, front was fine. I think I still have it hanging up in the garage.
    ED E wrote: »
    Replace the nipples with brass, alloy nipples stock to save weight are shiiite.
    It was about 8 or 9 years ago - wheel long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Out of interest what would be considered a decent 500€ wheelset these days? Anything a step up from Zondas or Mavic Ksyriums?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you get mavics? i thought there was a difficulty getting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭cyclocross!

can you get mavics? i thought there was a difficulty getting them?

Waiting 3 and half months on a set of Hunts at the moment. Just told it will be mid may at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd say there's a difference, I went from Aksiums to Zondas. They're a fair bit lighter and they just ride nicer. They have a reputation for being bomb proof which I can attest to at 110kg. I'm not as careful around potholes and speed bumps as I should be either. No trouble on them. Plus they look the business.

I had a spoke pop once or twice on the Aksiums when I was lighter and wasn't impressed.

They feel more solid out of the saddle to me and I definitely notice the weight off the line. Very happy with them. If I was buying new wheels I'd see what else is around now as it's been a few years but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

The more I think about and read about this, the more I am coming to the conclusion that I either just stick with Aksiums or go full hog, spend the money and get a quality set of carbon wheels.

Half way house might just be frustrating - possibly not a huge amount of difference from performance standpoint, and from an aesthetic point of view I think there would always be a hint of regret.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The more I think about and read about this, the more I am coming to the conclusion that I either just stick with Aksiums or go full hog, spend the money and get a quality set of carbon wheels.

Half way house might just be frustrating - possibly not a huge amount of difference from performance standpoint, and from an aesthetic point of view I think there would always be a hint of regret.

Wiggle do a Prime set on special sometimes for not much more than Zondas. Not sure if they will be as sturdy by any means, but they look cool

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

Their only drawback in my experience is that they never wear out and you have no excuse to replace them.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    ... I went from Aksiums to Zondas. They're a fair bit lighter ..
    About 300g difference - approx the same as half a bottle of water. If you want to get nerdy you could add your own and the bike's weight and figure out what percentage 300gms is of that. It's probably quite a bit less than .5%.
    Still, I am good at sums as I am at cycling, so you wouldn't want to take my word on it.

Zondas aren't all they're cracked up to be. I've had issues with finish, hub bearings, and spoke nipples. 3 sets with varying issues in 5 years.

When they're on form they're a nice wheel but definitely not a premium offering from Campag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

TGD wrote: »
    Their only drawback in my experience is that they never wear out and you have no excuse to replace them.

About 300g difference - approx the same as half a bottle of water. If you want to get nerdy you could add your own and the bike's weight and figure out what percentage 300gms is of that. It's probably quite a bit less than .5%.
    Still, I am good at sums as I am at cycling, so you wouldn't want to take my word on it.

It's rotational weight so not quite the same as ditching the water bottle. You won't notice your water bottle missing but if the weight was on the wheels or tyres you'd notice it. Ask anyone who has ridden with the Marathon Plus!

Advertisement