Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotpoint Dishwasher Overfilling

• 18-03-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hello There.

Ran into a problem before Christmas where my Hotpoint hfc2b19 dishwasher started to over fill fairly regularly and end up drenching the kitchen floor. I took it apart and checked for blockages and there are none and I also put in a new pressure switch just in case and the problem still remains. I'm completely stumped as to why the pressure switch is being activated so late when its the weight of the water that should trigger it at the right time.

Any home appliance boffins on here that may be able to offer some insight on what i am missing?

Thanking you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

bridgo wrote: »
    Hello There.

Ran into a problem before Christmas where my Hotpoint hfc2b19 dishwasher started to over fill fairly regularly and end up drenching the kitchen floor. I took it apart and checked for blockages and there are none and I also put in a new pressure switch just in case and the problem still remains. I'm completely stumped as to why the pressure switch is being activated so late when its the weight of the water that should trigger it at the right time.

Any home appliance boffins on here that may be able to offer some insight on what i am missing?

Thanking you

Would it not be a timer on the incoming water supply valve that would dictate the amount of water coming in?

I would have thought the pressure switch would be more to confirm draining was successful / finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bridgo

Hmmmm. So would you reckon that there is some kind of flow sensor built into the inlet solenoid? Still not making sense tho as the pressure switch would shut it off eitherway when water gets too high.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Would it not be a timer on the incoming water supply valve that would dictate the amount of water coming in?

I would have thought the pressure switch would be more to confirm draining was successful / finished.

If you time the incoming water, not very intuitive. What if no water comes in, or low pressure so not as much water comes in as is required?

The volume of water needs to be sensed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭John.G

On my (whirlpool) dishwasher if no fill water available then a alarm will annunciate and the cycle will not continue until water supply restored, and, I think, the start button.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Going from another angle, I had a similar issue previously and did all the checks you did. It turned out the pressure was too high and once the sensor told the flow to stop, the pressure was just too much to allow it to close. I reduced the flow from the inlet and it resolved it.

• Advertisement

It's probably a pressure switch on the hotpoint dishwasher to sense when it's full. So that could be faulty. Or the solenoid might not be closing properly to shut off water, although that would probably keep filling when the machine is switched off too.

Pressure switch tube blocked might be another possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

As most dishwasher water levels nowadays are controlled by a flow meter which if it goes faulty will have a high level sensor to make it empty before it leaks onto the floor. With a pressure switch it is the weight of water which compresses air to the switch to stop it filling at the correct level, it is highly unlikely that the replacement switch is also faulty so there are only two things that will allow it to overfill, 1 a blockage or 2 a perforated hose. Ideally get a spare length of hose (like in a windscreen washer) and attach to the switch and when the dw is partially full blow through the hose it should start to wash immediately. Now you may be overlooking another cause for the leak, if the bottom spray arm is sticking and not rotating freely it may be spraying water out under the door edge

Yea sticking wash arm can send water out alright. A common cause on commercial ones I was involved in a long time ago.
    Is the machine starting a wash cycle?

Cheers for the input lads. Just had it apart again. Im spending more time with the dishwasher than i am with my wife these days trying to figure it out. (no smartass comments on the wife being the other dishwasher please) haha :)

To touch on the points raised:

1. Checked the pipe to the sensor and no blockage or air leak. Disconnected the hose from the sensor and from the sump and there was no restriction. Connected to the sump and blew again. there was a very slight restriction but id say that is just from the reduced diameter where the hose connects.

2. The bottom arm is fixed and has not drooped into the water. The water fills up to the point where the bottom of the arm is in the water so its a water height as opposed to an arm issue.

3. I have just put on a cycle there with the inlet water valve just barely cracked to try see if reduced pressure would make a difference. Initial fill looks promising. Although the mind games this dishwasher play with me are cruel. Most times i try something it works the first time then the second time i try it overfills.

When it starts the cycle after filling, did you open door at that point and check level?

• Advertisement

I did. Level was perfect. It emptied after second rinse and filled again to correct level and it is nearly done with the wash cycle now. No leaks or overfilling yet. Its done this before tho and the second time i run it it leaks so when this is done i will fire it on again and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Have you got this dw connected to hot or cold water? If it is connected to hot and water is very hot it could cause the problem, I have seen this happen where the steam from the water cannot escape fast enough on the circulation pump start up causing a downward pressure on the water making it leak out under the door, also hot supply can cause the rubber tip on the solenoid valve to expand slightly making it stick partially allowing water to dribble in when it should be fully closed

Connected to cold mains water. Worked grand earlier. Will try again tomorrow. The reduced water pressure may have solved it. But as I said.....this dishwasher plays mind games

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭John.G

Hopefully not, but possible wiring loom cable frayed or broken, this loom flexes each time you open/close the door, I got fed up patching up my 9 y/o Whirlpool and threw it out, it generally though results in the machine not running with a flashing warning.

Second wash done and no overfilling. Yeoooow. Reduced pressure could have it solved and may point towards a slightly failing inlet solenoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jani92

Hello, you solved the problem with the reduced pressure? I have the same problem. Thank you

Advertisement