Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Bank Account - HSBC

Options
  • 18-03-2021 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I know there are frequently posts on here asking about how to open a UK bank account. I currently have one in BOI Newry but given rumours about BOI pulling out of the North, I wanted to explore another UK option as I have frequent payments coming in from the UK.

I discovered that HSBC allow anyone with an EU address to open a current account online. You complete the form and have to post them certified copies of ID and address (this was the tricky part because it cost me €60 to get them certified). It took about 3 weeks and I received my new a/c details and debit card this week.

Just wanted to share as it might help others.

More info here: https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/products/bank-account/#thingsyoushouldknow

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Probably a good idea to a wait until we see what if any agreement is reached between the UK and the EU on financial services, if you don't need it immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

sitstill wrote: »
    I know there are frequently posts on here asking about how to open a UK bank account. I currently have one in BOI Newry but given rumours about BOI pulling out of the North, I wanted to explore another UK option as I have frequent payments coming in from the UK.

I discovered that HSBC allow anyone with an EU address to open a current account online. You complete the form and have to post them certified copies of ID and address (this was the tricky part because it cost me €60 to get them certified). It took about 3 weeks and I received my new a/c details and debit card this week.

Just wanted to share as it might help others.

More info here: https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/products/bank-account/#thingsyoushouldknow

€60 seems alot to certify a document.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Why go to this hassle when you can open a GBP account with Revolut?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

JTMan wrote: »

But there is no deposit guarantee with Revolut is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

JTMan wrote: »

I know that would be an option but I wanted a full-service a/c with branches in NI in case I need to visit one for cheques etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    But there is no deposit guarantee with Revolut is there?

Indeed there isn't, guess ot all depends how much GBP you intend to hold (might be worth the risk if level is amall).

I have a 'basic account' with HSBC, took all my documents (passport, proof of address etc) into a branch one Saturday morning when I was over and was opened in a couple of weeks.

Visa debit card arrived to Dublin address shortly thereafter.

Advertisement