Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrants letters

Options
  • 18-03-2021 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭

I heard a news item recently about a person donating a large collection of emigrants correspondence to Galway University ( I think). They are to be copied and digatilised. A nice resource for future researchers and a place that people might like to contribute to. A family can keep the original and a copy is donated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

This going to be great for scholarship.

There's already a collection online at http://www.dippam.ac.uk/ied/ as well which are very interesting.

One thing I'm sorry about though is that we won't see the original. We all know the potential for transcription errors!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I would hope the originals would be scanned and not just transcribed? There is also a project in UK to gather personal diaries. Donors can stipulate level of access. ( The Great Diary Project. Bishopsgate Institute)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Just out of interest does anyone have any in their own family history collection? We do, several, dating from the 1860s, from an Armagh man who ended up in Ohio. He even mentions the (civil) war! He also talks about ploughing. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Garlinge wrote: »
    I would hope the originals would be scanned and not just transcribed? There is also a project in UK to gather personal diaries. Donors can stipulate level of access. ( The Great Diary Project. Bishopsgate Institute)

My reading was that Kirby Miller borrowed and transcribed the originals many years ago and returned them to their owners and has now donated his work to NUI.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement