Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek Bike

Options
  • 18-03-2021 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi

Looking opinions on a bike I’m thinking of purchasing.

Trek Domane sl 5

2020 ( I think )

€1800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Where are you getting it for €1800? I might try and get there first:).

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

Where are you getting it for €1800? I might try and get there first:).

I was just about to say the same thing. I would buy that like a shot for 1800

I have an Emonda SL5, which obviously isn't quite the same thing, but I am very happy with it, build quality is excellent and I've had many thousands of hassle free kms on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭smurph10

I was just about to say the same thing. I would buy that like a shot for 1800

I have an Emonda SL5, which obviously isn't quite the same thing, but I am very happy with it, build quality is excellent and I've had many thousands of hassle free kms on it.

Sorry my mistake it’s 2018 new.

Still a good price?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭oisinog

smurph10 wrote: »

Still a good price?

Well a 2021 model is £2850gbp so it looks to be a good deal overall.

• Advertisement

Still a good price?

Are you saying it's the 2018 model for €1800?

Yes

That's a very different kettle of fish!

AFAIK it's got the older version of 105, 5800 instead of the newer R7000. Also it's got rim brakes while the newer models have top notch hydraulic discs!

It may still be good value but it's not quite the steaming bargain that a 2020 would be.

Review here - https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes/road-bikes/trek-domane-sl-5-review/?image=3&type=gallery&gallery=1&embedded_slideshow=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That purple paint is lovely - hardly available on the basement Sl5 though sadly.

No real difference between 5800 and 7000, although I hope to Christ the finish is better on the R7000 chainsets at least :pac:

Disc brakes....nowt wrong with well-set up rim brakes using a decent compound. Change 'em yourself front and rear in 2 mins as well. Discs hard on the eyes and lead by marketing to a high degree.

€1800 is what an entry-level carbon-framed 105-equipped rim brake bike used to cost prior to the current market explosion, and €1800 is what it should cost in 2021 except for the global supply chain challenges.

If it hasn't turned a wheel I'd say go for it.

Check out the Canyon website. They're a good yardstick for prices.

While R7000 isn't any better than 5800 it's a newer version and will be worth more when you come to sell! Same can be said about disc brakes, especially hydraulic!

In fairness, the 2018 is a fairly amazing 1.5kg lighter than the 2020 model.

• Advertisement

Check out the Canyon website. They're a good yardstick for prices.

While R7000 isn't any better than 5800 it's a newer version and will be worth more when you come to sell! Same can be said about disc brakes, especially hydraulic!

In fairness, the 2018 is a fairly amazing 1.5kg lighter than the 2020 model.
    Thanks for advice everyone. Think I’ll go with it. My 10year old Kelly’s arc has served me well 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

man, looking at those Domanes, around 6k for a proper looking one. All the way up to 11k ridiculous! And the Madones up to 14k what is happening to the world.

Jonesy101 wrote: »
    man, looking at those Domanes, around 6k for a proper looking one. All the way up to 11k ridiculous! And the Madones up to 14k what is happening to the world.

So your saying I’m not getting robbed at €1800

So your saying I’m not getting robbed at €1800

Definitely not. Those bikes retailed here at well over two grand and that was before bike prices went through the roof.

It's a really good frame, especially if you value comfort over everything else, which you should unless you're a hard-core racer.

Advertisement