Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Double Socket for kitchen

Options
  • 17-03-2021 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Hi

Suffering from a severe shortage of sockets in our kitchen. We need to move the washing machine and think a new double socket will need to be installed to accommodate washing machine and tumble.

Will we be able to get a sparky to install in these COVID times? And how much would it cost? There's already a double socket near to where the tumble is now, so would it be difficult to install another nearby on the next wall?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,420 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Hi

Suffering from a severe shortage of sockets in our kitchen. We need to move the washing machine and think a new double socket will need to be installed to accommodate washing machine and tumble.

Will we be able to get a sparky to install in these COVID times? And how much would it cost? There's already a double socket near to where the tumble is now, so would it be difficult to install another nearby on the next wall?

Would one of these do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B018WA2ONK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_X4VP96BQXCT98KZ8W342?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Seriously? Do not use these for high draw appliances, Christ!

OP You’ll be able to get an electrician to install, they’re considered essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Get 2 single sockets, plug one into each, otherwise the socket will probably burn out, as regards price, there s a lot of factors, best bet would be anywhere from 1 to 2 hundred depending on how messy it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Following on from my OP. I searched the Electric Safe register and found one domestic electrician, asked for a quote and still waiting.
    Would anyone happen to know of a decent, qualified sparky the could fit the socket for me? I'm in Cork City.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Apologies in advance as I know this may irritate you, but:
    Generally electricians have to charge a lot for work such as this to make it worth their while. This means that you most likely won’t proceed which wastes your time and theirs. Perhaps you should have a think and see what else needs to be done to make it more appealing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

was just going to say the above.

An electrician will want to charge for a half day, so have look about the place.

Would it be handy to have an outdoor socket?
    Are there other areas that need sockets?
    Maybe a raised socket where you might have a computer
    Maybe a second double socket at the TV
    Better outdoor lights?

Think of a "time" fee of €200 and €30- €40 for each item

2011 wrote: »
    Apologies in advance as I know this may irritate you, but:
    Generally electricians have to charge a lot for work such as this to make it worth their while. This means that you most likely won’t proceed which wastes your time and theirs. Perhaps you should have a think and see what else needs to be done to make it more appealing.

I had a nasty feeling you were going to tell me that. Looks as though I'll have to struggle on with one socket, plugging and unplugging the washing machine to use the dryer. That's all I really need, which is unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If the machines are not on at the same time and its purely due to not having to plug one out to plug the other in, then a decent twin extension should be fine.
    Something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/ExtraStar-Double-Socket-Power-Extension-White/dp/B07PKM5BFR/

I'd use command strips to fix it to the wall over the current socket, but as the combination of the two machines would be over 4,000 watts, be sure not to use both together

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/03/how-to-avoid-overloading-your-plug-sockets-at-home/

Ah OK!! I think we have one of those. That's one thing we are NOT short of! :D My husband did suggest using one, but I wasn't comfortable with the idea and thought it might be better to install the socket.

Thank you all very much indeed for the helpful suggestions and advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

OP. Don’t use an extension lead

Contact your local electrical wholesalers for recommendations. Try and get a local rec. it’ll be a fairly straightforward job and if he doesn’t have too far to travel it shouldn’t cost too much

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1

Exactly what meetcat says.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Ah OK!! I think we have one of those. That's one thing we are NOT short of! :D My husband did suggest using one, but I wasn't comfortable with the idea and thought it might be better to install the socket.

Thank you all very much indeed for the helpful suggestions and advice :)

Do not use an extension lead...

*edit. As the 2 posters above me have said

Advertisement