Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cassette & range of gears

Options
  • 17-03-2021 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought a smart TT & need a cassette so have been looking into them. My bike, Canyon Endurance AL 7) has a 11 speed 11-32t cassette. East Galway, where I live is mainly flat, don't go up many very steep hills.

Would it make sense to change to 11 speed 11-28t (or different)? Do people think much about it or generally just go with what their bike has, does 11-28 vs 11-32 make a big difference.

If it's worth anything I spend a lot of my time in the big chain ring and middle cogs on the cassette, move to smaller chain ring and lower/smaller cogs on cassette or middle if steep but virtually never in loosest gear/top cog on cassette.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I just bought a smart TT & need a cassette so have been looking into them. My bike, Canyon Endurance AL 7) has a 11 speed 11-32t cassette. East Galway, where I live is mainly flat, don't go up many very steep hills.

Would it make sense to change to 11 speed 11-28t (or different)? Do people think much about it or generally just go with what their bike has, does 11-28 vs 11-32 make a big difference.

If it's worth anything I spend a lot of my time in the big chain ring and middle cogs on the cassette, move to smaller chain ring and lower/smaller cogs on cassette or middle if steep but virtually never in loosest gear/top cog on cassette.

Cheers,
    Pa.

What size are your front two (assuming two) chain rings?

There are size calculators online that give you and idea if the difference between ranges.

Some people prefer smaller increments between gears (which is what the 11-28 will give). Some people never notice this sort of thing

Last bike I bought was 11-28 on a 52-36. I was fitter then than I am now after lockdown and truth be told I could be doing with the 32 sometimes lol

It sounds tho that you won't gain that much if you are already used to the middle ratios. The 32 is handy I guess if you ever go for some hilly sportive (ha! Whenever that's allowed..!)

Advertisement