Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike clicking

Options
  • 17-03-2021 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi all,

Wondering what the story is here, brand new bike clicking since first spin. I’ve had it out three times and the clicking noise happens when i pedal while in the seat. When I get out of the seat it’s fine.

I’ve taken out the seat post, regressed the clamp and put carbon gripper on the seat post and inside the frame. Tightened it to the correct torque and still have a clicking noise

Bought the bike in January, do I take it back to the bike shop or do I contact giant directly?

Giant defy advanced is the model

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Where is the click?

Is it cranks or pedals?

I'm assuming not gears etc otherwise you wouldn't have checked the seat etc

I mean no harm going back to the shop anyway, why wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub 24

I have the same bike and I hear a similar noise but mine is at the headstock when I twist the handlebars it's the cable moving around inside the frame could it be that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,081 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Check the pedals/cleats.
    I had clicking on the down stroke on the pedals, and thorough clean of them and change of cleats sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭barrier86

km991148 wrote: »
    Where is the click?

Is it cranks or pedals?

I'm assuming not gears etc otherwise you wouldn't have checked the seat etc

I mean no harm going back to the shop anyway, why wouldn't you?

Sorry. I think it might be coming from the seat post as it only happens while I pedal when seated.

It’s driving me insane!

Also to not it doesn’t begin straight away. It starts to click after a couple of minutes into the cycle. Bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

barrier86 wrote: »
    Sorry. I think it might be coming from the seat post as it only happens while I pedal when seated.

It’s driving me insane!

Also to not it doesn’t begin straight away. It starts to click after a couple of minutes into the cycle. Bizarre!

Hmm what type of clicking? Metal on metal/tapping/clunking etc?

Sorry if I'm getting too technical here :pac:

Could it be cables like someone said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Try adjusting the saddle, or even a different saddle. There might be an uneven clamp on the saddle rails.

km991148 wrote: »
    Hmm what type of clicking? Metal on metal/tapping/clunking etc?

Sorry if I'm getting too technical here :pac:

Could it be cables like someone said?

It’s almost like the noise of plastic clicking. I am convinced it’s the seat post / saddle. I’ll strip the saddle and check if that’s the cause.

If not it’s back to the shop!

I’ve had clicking on my aluminium bike before and it sounded different. That was a seat post issue too. I also had clicking from my cranks on my aluminium bike and the noise doesn’t resemble the current noise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I put on new pedals and new cleats and was clicking at my right foot was on the downstroke. Thought it was the pedals, cleat or the cranks. Removed, cleaned and greased everything and it was still there. Even greased the wheel axles and refit. Turns out it was the bloody speed sensor on the wheel...

In the past I just checked and greased everything from the wheels to the saddle rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sounds daft but I had the same problem a few years ago and turns out it was a stem bolts connected to the handlebars.

When out of the saddle there was weight on the bars so the noise wasn't there. Once seated and less weight on the bars the noise came back.

I was convinced it was the saddle or BB but it was the stem bolts. Worth a quick check and torque tighten.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Have the same bike and mine was clicking/creaking too. Basically all major parts on these bikes need regular greasing.
    Thru axels, Pedals etc. The seat posts are a known issue for creaking. They need to be regularly greased. My issue was creaking uphill. Found out it was the Pedals so greased them up.
    Try the bolts on the big front sprocket too, give them a tighten. There is a good giant defy owners page on Facebook too that has loads of threads on clicking and creaking noises that might help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭monty_python

Could it be the headset? My headset was loose and it made a kind of clicking sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Might be waaaay off here......but did you check your knees :) known to get creaky eventually ;)

Cheers for all the input folks. The bike is 3 months old and has about 150km on it done over three spins

I’m going to undo, grease and tighten the headset as well as the saddle / seat post tomorrow.

If that doesn’t solve it I’ll cry.... then take it back to the shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Cheers for all the input folks. The bike is 3 months old and has about 150km on it done over three spins

I’m going to undo, grease and tighten the headset as well as the saddle / seat post tomorrow.

If that doesn’t solve it I’ll cry.... then take it back to the shop!

One thing at a time, or you'll never know........

Headset shouldn't need looking at till 15000kms at least, if it's the cause then bring the bike back and leave it there..

I'd lay money it's your saddle rails or clamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I’ve been through the mill with creaks this year & the most common cause was the front grey rubbber on my grey look cleats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

nilhg wrote: »
    I'd lay money it's your saddle rails or clamp.
    this would be the first thing i'd check too, it's easy to rule out anyway. just grab the saddle at the back and the nose and twist it to see if there's any undue movement or creaking.

Hi guys.

Quick update. I removed the seat from the seat clam and applied a bit of grease to the seat rail. I then torqued it to the recommended spec. This didn’t work.

Loosened the seat clamp again and applied the lower recommended torque, still no joy

Bike shop Monday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

With my saddle, it was the saddle itself, rather than the rails in the seat clamp. The rails were moving fractionally where they joined the saddle I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭meercat

Try removing the wheels and refit them again. Retighten the skewers

Update:

It was the seat post! I removed again and tightened to the max torque of 6nm

The sound of silence is a wonderful thing

Thank you for all the input guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭cletus

Update:

It was the seat post! I removed again and tightened to the max torque of 6nm

The sound of silence is a wonderful thing

Thank you for all the input guys!

Was it over tightened,not under tightened?

Good result, by the way

cletus wrote: »
    Was it over tightened,not under tightened?

Good result, by the way

It was under tightened, it seems.

Thankful it’s done and for all the input from everyone here

Advertisement