Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genesis Equilibrium Disc Road Bike 2020

Options
  • 17-03-2021 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Looking to get a bike under the c2w scheme . I would welcome some experienced Boards cyclists views on the following bike:
    https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=151198

Genesis Equilibrium Disc Road Bike 2020 - cost €2599

Pros (from what I know/read):
    Good brand, durable, nice styling, good mixed purpose bike (touring/long commutes)
    Cons: Bit on the heavy side, price

Someone told me that the price is is expensive for Shimano Gearset?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Looking to get a bike under the c2w scheme . I would welcome some experienced Boards cyclists views on the following bike:

Pros (from what I know/read):
    Good brand, durable, nice styling, good mixed purpose bike (touring/long commutes)
    Cons: Bit on the heavy side, price

Someone told me that the price is is expensive for Shimano Gearset?

Thanks in advance

I have the 2015 version with rim brakes that i bought for €1650. It's a rock solid bike that i'll have for life. The genesis you quoted is not cheap €2599 as you would probably get a more lightweight carbon bike for the same price,
    I reckon it would outlast the carbon bike, it depends what your looking for really. Something light and fast or something a bit heavier that will last for life. Saying that, the genesis is no slow coach. It depends what you want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭terminator74

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I have the 2015 version with rim brakes that i bought for €1650. It's a rock solid bike that i'll have for life. The genesis you quoted is not cheap €2599 as you would probably get a more lightweight carbon bike for the same price,
    I reckon it would outlast the carbon bike, it depends what your looking for really. Something light and fast or something a bit heavier that will last for life. Saying that, the genesis is no slow coach. It depends what you want really.

Thanks for reply. Cycling is not my first sport so It will be mostly used for spins during the summer and some commuting (2 days a week whenever that happens!) & some infrequent sportives. The longevity/durability of the bike as you describe appeals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Yeah, the price of them has shot up over the years. I've a 2015 or 2016 one (bought secondhand) but they were about 1.8k back then.
    I don't know if Jalco have a good reputation for their wheels, but I love my bike anyway.

360 cycles stock them (or used to) as does that place in kilmacud, but it will be hard to get a demo model in your size to have a test ride on, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Bit of a Boards bike to be honest and you can't really go wrong. Equilibriums are much loved here for good reason.

Alternatively, if you looked the other way from the C2W scheme and thought about good user options, there is at least one Equi for sale here if you're anywhere around 5'6" to 5'10"?

Used bikes make a *lot* of sense in 2021 as the new market has gone bananas frankly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Bit of a Boards bike to be honest and you can't really go wrong. Equilibriums are much loved here for good reason.

Alternatively, if you looked the other way from the C2W scheme and thought about good user options, there is at least one Equi for sale here if you're anywhere around 5'6" to 5'10"?

Used bikes make a *lot* of sense in 2021 as the new market has gone bananas frankly.

If you're talking about magicbaatarders, I bought that.

Wife can't quite get used to it though so it's going to be available again soon once I find a replacement

• Advertisement

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

With the tax rebate that bike is costing you 2k, a lot of money for what it is.

To me, and I own two steel genesis bikes, their current prices are mental. All prices are gone mad tbf but Genesis lost the run of themselves a few years ago.

Even with current scarcity of bikes, I'd have a good look at 2nd hand, or even put up a wanted add.

Sub 1k should get you a lovely rim braked bike and sub 1.5k a disc brakes bike.

For reference I put a rim braked equilibrium on road for 650 in 2015. It has been on a lot of adventures since and is still perfect, or functions perfectly

2.5k for what you describe is insane but it's your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

To me, and I own two steel genesis bikes, their current prices are mental. All prices are gone mad tbf but Genesis lost the run of themselves a few years ago.

Even with current scarcity of bikes, I'd have a good look at 2nd hand, or even put up a wanted add.

For reference I put a rim braked equilibrium on road for 650 in 2015. It has been on a lot of adventures since and is still perfect, or functions perfectly

I agree that it is too expensive for what it is.

I built a Croix de Fer 853 at Christmas for about 1650. Frame cost about 800 (you can regularly find deals on previous year Genesis frames, less so on full bikes), wheels & tires 270 (DT Swiss P1800 & Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless), groupset about 500 (Shimano 105 hydraulic disc - granted I needed to shop around a lot for that and finding parts was a nightmare), and about 100 for seatpost, stem, bars and saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

For similar money (plus a few months wait)

https://www.vannicholas.com/road-bikes/ventus

Now we're talking.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I can use my spouses c2w as well as mine but I take your point on its relatively high cost.

alentejo wrote: »
    For similar money (plus a few months wait)

https://www.vannicholas.com/road-bikes/ventus

Beautiful bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I agree that it is too expensive for what it is.

I built a Croix de Fer 853 at Christmas for about 1650. Frame cost about 800 (you can regularly find deals on previous year Genesis frames, less so on full bikes), wheels & tires 270 (DT Swiss P1800 & Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless), groupset about 500 (Shimano 105 hydraulic disc - granted I needed to shop around a lot for that and finding parts was a nightmare), and about 100 for seatpost, stem, bars and saddle

Similarly I built up a tour de fer last year (well lbs did much of the work) but top specced off the peg one is about 1800 for tiagra, dynamo and racks,

Mine is ultegra, racks, dynamo, hand built wheels and better brakes and came in a whole lot less. Took a fair amount of time now to get everything, but still.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just spotted, it's over €300 cheaper in hollingsworth:
    https://www.mycycle.ie/Genesis-Equilibrium-Disc-20-2020-p/gn20370lg.htm

but as above, you're paying a weirdly high premium for disc brakes. in hollingsworth, the difference between the rim brake version and disc brake version is over 650 quid.
    you'd pay about a €200 premium for the disc groupset at retail prices, so trying to allocate the other €450 difference between the frame and wheels seems like a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

That's awful expensive for a 105 equipped aluminium bike. It also appears to have external routed cable and piping, another per hate of mine!.

youtheman wrote: »
    aluminium bike.
    <sharp intake of breath>

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I have a steel and a carbon Genesis and I love each of them, particularly the steely. Both are top end and didn't cost much more than that Equilibrium. It is a great looking bike but I agree with the others here, it appears quite overpriced for what it is

At that money add a few hundred more and you are knocking on titanium's door surely.

That's awful expensive for a 105 equipped aluminium bike.

Wash your mouth out young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

It also appears to have external routed cable and piping, another per hate of mine!.

I get that people rather the look of buried and internally routed cables but from a functional, regular maintenance and road side repair POV exposed and externally routed cables are superior.

I'd imagine internally routed cables are detrimental for a bike mechanic's hair count!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

I get that people rather the look of buried and internally routed cables but from a functional, regular maintenance and road side repair POV exposed and externally routed cables are superior.

I'd imagine internally routed cables are detrimental for a bike mechanic's hair count!

That's the mechanics problem. Not ours. I love internally routed cables, no more snagging them on stuff and it makes the bike look a lot cleaner. They have lovely bikes down in cyclesuperstore so I'd say you can get something better than that. A cube with ultegra for that money.

it's a steel bike, many people won't worry about exposed cables.

still trying to get my head around the price they're charging. the difference between the rim brake and disc brake frame is €330, which is hard to fathom.
    even with the disc brake frame, does it cost nearly a grand and a half on top to kit out the bike? you can get* R7020 for €600, but even at
    €800, and €400 for wheels (which would almost certainly be better than the ones supplied on the full bike), what else is left to buy? saddle, bars, bartape? you'd end up with a better bike than they're selling, probably for cheaper, all new parts.

*well, not at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Ended up down a titanium wormhole. Anyone any experience on this:

https://retail.cigalacycling.com/products/j-guillem-major-disc-105

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭youtheman

byrnem31 wrote: »
    That's the mechanics problem. Not ours. I love internally routed cables, no more snagging them on stuff and it makes the bike look a lot cleaner. They have lovely bikes down in cyclesuperstore so I'd say you can get something better than that. A cube with ultegra for that money.

Only downside of internally routed cable is a rattle sometimes. My Di2 bike had an annoying rattle from the cable in the main downtube. I had to stuff a piece of pipe insulation in the tube to secure the cables and get rid of the noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IMO the Genesis Equilibrium is a tank. Tank bikes have their place, but I wouldn't buy one for fun cycling.
    timmyjimmy wrote: »
    Ended up down a titanium wormhole. Anyone any experience on this:

https://retail.cigalacycling.com/products/j-guillem-major-disc-105

No, but the review here is interesting:

https://road.cc/content/review/267180-jguillem-major-105

Cites poor ride quality on 25mm tyres, but of course you could fit 28mm or possibly larger. 9kg is decent for a metal bike with disc brakes.

My own experience with a couple of Enigma frames is that ride quality of Ti is fine, but nothing beats a good carbon frame for speed, lightness, and comfort.

At the end of the day the best thing about naked Ti is how it looks, and how durable the finish is. 5 years down the line when a painted carbon frame will have lost its shine, the Ti bike will still look brand new.

My current Enigma sits looks pretty on the turbo trainer, whilst road duties are left to a Cannondale Synapse, which is both faster and more comfortable.

interesting to see that genesis have gone back to a steel fork on the rim braked equilibrium.

The Van Nicholas Ventus for the same money has got to be a better buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

MojoMaker wrote: »
    The Van Nicholas Ventus for the same money has got to be a better buy?

Nice rim brake version on Donedeal

• Advertisement
Advertisement