Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RF interference

Options
  • 16-03-2021 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi

Seems that something is affecting my wifi mesh 5GHZ backhaul as it keeps reverting to 2.4GZ because some kind of interference.

I used an EMF to capture the issue (few hours) . Not 100% sure what the data means, anything that can point me on the right direction?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d57lonmqhlatqx/emfhistory_03162021_192116.csv?dl=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Didn’t see anything remarkable in that. Did I miss something?

Why do you think it’s external interference rather than a defect or power limitation within the equipment itself?

Is there something remarkable about the enviroment you are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭clvk07

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Didn’t see anything remarkable in that. Did I miss something?

Why do you think it’s external interference rather than a defect or power limitation within the equipment itself?

Is there something remarkable about the enviroment you are in?

The setup is a WIFI Orbi Mesh. 3 devices. Two of them are fine. Only the one in the play room is having the issue. I moved this device upstairs and it kept the 5GHZ connection. There is something in the playroom / kitchen which is interfering with the connection to the satellite in the living room. (Living Room-Kitchen-Playroom layout )

It is not a mesh device fault as the other satellite which is in the garden and more far away than the one in the playroom is working fine. I also swapped the two, same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Understand - it’s still more likely to a power/transmission/obstruction issue than such a degree of external interference in a domestic dwelling.

I have the google mesh system, and had to play around quite a bit with the location of the units to get them all integrating correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

clvk07 wrote: »
    Hi

Seems that something is affecting my wifi mesh 5GHZ backhaul as it keeps reverting to 2.4GZ because some kind of interference.

I used an EMF to capture the issue (few hours) . Not 100% sure what the data means, anything that can point me on the right direction?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9d57lonmqhlatqx/emfhistory_03162021_192116.csv?dl=0

Have you moved this device?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would check if there is any interference from a microwave oven if you have one is in proximity. Possibility of spurious/ harmonics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bucky08

Have you a baby monitor I found that this interfered with my own wifi signal when it was on...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭clvk07

Did more test and it seems that the Electromagnetic field values from the EMF reader get high when going close (10-20 CM) to the wall where the mesh was placed. That high reading doesn't happen in any other wall in the house. there is only one socket on that wall. Even with nothing connected. I moved the mesh on the other side of the room and it has been an improvement. What could cause these high readings? Any potential safety issues?

Advertisement