Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

air to air heat pump

Options
  • 16-03-2021 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭

Finding it a little hard to get details on air to air heat pump systems in Ireland. A lot of info online seems to be tailored to air to water. Considering installing in a small 50sqm apartment space, cost permitting, rather then go the electric rad route (electric is the only option) as the system seems more efficient. Fitting is not an issue. Does anyone have any info or recommendations?

Feel free to pm as per forum rules and include company/price/feedback if you got similar installed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭headtheball14

I fitted one a few years ago, I wouldn’t recommend my installer for a number of reasons, they weren’t electricians and since then I had an electrician in who insisted he couldn’t do work on the house and leave it as the installation was poor.
    I’m mixed on the heat pump itself, I ordered a larger heat pump but they delivered the smaller one that he had recommended and it doesn’t really heat the house on a cold day. It is good to be able to switch it on and have and have a timer. Cost is ok.
    I’ve also kept the storage heaters and use that when it’s very cold. I found good threads on money saving experts website which gave good descriptions of tech etc

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

I fitted one a few years ago, I wouldn’t recommend my installer for a number of reasons, they weren’t electricians and since then I had an electrician in who insisted he couldn’t do work on the house and leave it as the installation was poor.
    I’m mixed on the heat pump itself, I ordered a larger heat pump but they delivered the smaller one that he had recommended and it doesn’t really heat the house on a cold day. It is good to be able to switch it on and have and have a timer. Cost is ok.
    I’ve also kept the storage heaters and use that when it’s very cold. I found good threads on money saving experts website which gave good descriptions of tech etc

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the installation. Sounds like the poor performance is largely down to the unit size not being suitable for the space but I'll keep it in mind. Any info on the unit itself and the size of space it's heating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Cannot comment on air to air sorry, but the key for any type of low temp heating system to be efficient / capable is to ensure you have dealt with as much of the heat loss as possible first (not just insulation but airtightness is critical).

Advertisement