Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading to disc brakes?

Options
  • 15-03-2021 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

I have a touring bike with rim brakes and bar end shifters. Is it a big job to upgrade to disc brakes?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You will need a new frame, so yes, it's a big job, as in it's easier to replace the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Well, I mean, technically you could braze on a set of disc brake bosses, plus possibly a brace on the chainstays, and then repaint the frame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Maybe a partial upgrade is easier.. change the fork, but that would give a very different set of brakes front and back!

New frame time.. or better yet.. new bike!

Our of interest, any particular reason? I.e. are the existing brakes no use? Maybe better rim brakes and pads if the existing ones are old?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

don't forget, components are in very short supply at the moment too.
    new wheels
    new brakes and brake levers
    new fork
    new/modified frame

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

GCN did something similar (retro bike is rim brake)

https://youtu.be/hFT5IOtJWq0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

An OK compromise in my opinion would be exalith from mavic. Tbh I don't think there's a lot wrong with well set up rim brakes.

Adding discs to your current steed would buy you a disc braked bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

km991148 wrote: »
    Our of interest, any particular reason? I.e. are the existing brakes no use? Maybe better rim brakes and pads if the existing ones are old?

It's a touring bike and I've had some scary downhills when loaded with bags, tent, etc. Thought (if it was easy done) better braking would be safer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

Gorteen wrote: »
    It's a touring bike and I've had some scary downhills when loaded with bags, tent, etc. Thought (if it was easy done) better braking would be safer

It's doable, and there's plenty of videos of guys doing it on YouTube, but it won't be easy, if doing it yourself, and won't be cheap if you pay for it to be done

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭marvin42

Upgrade to hydraulic rim brake might be a option:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2184962.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

What kind of frame is it, as in does it have disc mounts?

Also what is the current brake caliper and lever brand/model?

It'll be easier to get advice once people have more details.

• Advertisement

Also what is the current brake caliper and lever brand/model?

It'll be easier to get advice once people have more details.

Yeah that's why I was asking a bit more.. what problem are you trying to solve as there may be alternatives rather than focusing on one potential solution such a dusk brakes.

Unless that solution is buy a new bike.. no one will stop that!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Also remember disc frames and forks are engineered for different forces. Also in the early days of MTBs there was a suspicion that standard quick release could not take braking forces. Never proven but through axle is the norm now. Personally unless doing alpine descents decent cantilevers or v brakes are fine. Magura hydraulic rim brakes were awesome back in the day and are compatible wiyjout changing everything else. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/magura-hs33r-city-mtb-brakes/rp-prod107695?mx01=a&mx02=a

i would be extremely suprised if a frame was engineered with disc mounts and sold with rim brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i would be extremely suprised if a frame was engineered with disc mounts and sold with rim brakes.

planet x kaffenbak 2 shipped with v brake mounts and disc mounts if i remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Not sure if these suitable for you but I recently put these on a steel winter bike with mudguards and they have loads of clearance and drop and they are excellent

https://www.google.com/amp/s/road.cc/content/review/115645-trp-rg957-deep-drop-brakes%3famp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Possibly just buy better pads, they do make a difference and will only set you back maybe €40. I have a disc and rim brake bike now, there are differences but none that make you safer on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I have a few albeit they are older models from when discs where becoming more standard on mtbs so just thought there might be a chance the OP has similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Gorteen

I have a few albeit they are older models from when discs where becoming more standard on mtbs so just thought there might be a chance the OP has similar.

I've never had a bike with disc brakes, so how does the frame differ?

Place to attach them for a start.

Structurally some bikes will also be reinforced in different places to cope with different forces.

Axles might be different as disc wheels generally have through axles and such like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I have a 1998 Raleigh MTB, that was sold with V brakes and it is fitted with disc mounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

disc brakes create a twisting moment that needs stronger frame on the disc side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

I did this back in the day when not even CX bikes had disc mounts. It's great, you just need to replace the fork with a disc version so long as your shifter/break units are separate and it's flat bar. If you have combo units or drops the costs really start to increase.

I had an open pro laced to an xt disc hub and fitted an alfine front brake (tarted up deore) with a steel disc fork from sjs cycles

Managed either 23 or 27k km before I sold the bike to a club mate.

The brake levers didn't match but the braking you needed was there in all weathers. Did both the ROK and W200 on it, only struggled on the climbs due to wrong gearing on the alfine hub.

Raced the Ladies leap descent (closed road for the ROK) against a proper roadie and I could brake so much later into the bends. He was a much better rider than me but I could out brake him and gain so much ground. Great fun.

It's a relatively cheap way to get much better braking on a bike you don't want to make obsolete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

It was done loads back in the day, especially by firms that did MTB and road stuff. Planet X/on-one bikes being the most common example I can think of.

Mtb's disc were firmly established but road/CX didn't see any benefits so a few firms would build bikes with both options and sell you the "cheap" rim version and you could upgrade if you want.

There was a niche of commuters who wanted to go fast in comfort who bought CX bikes to be able to fit wider tyres, fitted a front disc fork and used them to commute. It wasn't great as the CX frame isn't great for commuting (bit tall) and the gearing was a bit short but much better than anything else out there until adventure/gravel bikes arrived.

I still have a bike in the shed that #1 child rides which came with rim brakes and I've removed the bosses (as it was designed to do) and fitted discs, and I have a carbon disc suspension fork that came with what was effectively jubilee clip brake bosses you torqued up tight against the carbon. I always ran it with discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

marvin42 wrote: »
    Upgrade to hydraulic rim brake might be a option:
    https://www.bike24.com/p2184962.html
    He's already said he's regretted the discs and parked the bike, have to assume the forks either at best vibrate from the force of the discs biting or worst case snapped. Old curved forks aren't designed for disc

Advertisement