Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Throttling & buffering to Hetzner

Options
  • 15-03-2021 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

Hello folks

Hope this is the right subsection

For the past 4 days I cannot seem to reach Hetzner data centre in Finland on Vodafone. totally blocked on mobile and Fibre home.

Further checking shows massive throttling on Sky, Eir and Virgin to this data centre with maximum speeds of 1.1-2.1mb.

Use of VPN does not help the matter.

Changing the DNS on the machine and clearing the cache allows the throttling to stop on Sky, Eir and Virgin but does not allow access from Vodafone.

Digiweb and pure telecom are not affected. Great peering.

What is your opinion? Is this accidental peering loss, or deliberate blocking by the ISP?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's extremely unlikely that those three ISPs would be throttling traffic there. It's far more likely that there's saturation/congestion on one of the hops there. Have you got tracerts/pingplotter runs? It's not guaranteed they'd show the issue, but they could in a simple case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Spear wrote: »
    It's extremely unlikely that those three ISPs would be throttling traffic there. It's far more likely that there's saturation/congestion on one of the hops there. Have you got tracerts/pingplotter runs? It's not guaranteed they'd show the issue, but they could in a simple case.

Forgot to come back to you on this.

Don't have the trace routes here but after running a few on different ISP It was all over the place.

Ireland to Helsinki on Vodafone, Eir and Virgin was sending all traffic through Amsterdam and Estonia onwards to Finland where as Digiweb was sending it through UK, Norway and onto Finland.

But once I changed the DNS to cloud flare it worked on all of the providers.

So I just presumed at that point it was throttling..

But today 3 people are still using Eir's provided DNS and the issue has also been resolved. so I guess the right answer will come this weekend again if it repeats

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Sounds like the routing or BGP was messed up, either through maintenance or someone screwed up. Have you asked Hetzner about this?

Advertisement