Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-wiring Floor & Table Lamps

Options
  • 15-03-2021 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hello,

I’m looking to rewire a couple of old table lamps and a floor lamp. All brass / metal.

The floor and newer table lamp have brass bayonet lamp holders with what I think is an earth terminal on the outside and two terminals inside.

Am I correct in thinking that the earth goes into the outside terminal and live and neutral can go in either terminal inside? (not marked live/neutral)

The other table lamp is antique brass & metal and has no lamp holder / cable. Can I fit a similar brass lamp holder as above here and connect as above? Or are there any other steps or considerations?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 User3.

Swift66 wrote: »
    Hello,

I’m looking to rewire a couple of old table lamps and a floor lamp. All brass / metal.

The floor and newer table lamp have brass bayonet lamp holders with what I think is an earth terminal on the outside and two terminals inside.

Am I correct in thinking that the earth goes into the outside terminal and live and neutral can go in either terminal inside? (not marked live/neutral)

The other table lamp is antique brass & metal and has no lamp holder / cable. Can I fit a similar brass lamp holder as above here and connect as above? Or are there any other steps or considerations?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

I would bin them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What type of lamp does it take if it BC then it doesn't matter what terminal the neutral or live goes into but for es this would matter.

The metal should definitely be earthed.

I gather you will be running a new flex, make sure plug top has a 3 amp fuse and not a 13 amp one.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Thanks Punisher. Will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Emptur.

It's alright in theory but portable appliances have evolved and are safer now

Stick it in a glass case or something when you rewire it

Advertisement