Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sand and Gravel haulage via Tractor

Options
  • 14-03-2021 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all, long time reader first time poster.

Just an idea that dawned on me today was to start sand and gravel haulage out of quarries etc to sites across Dublin (as you’d see hundreds of 8 wheeler rigid lorries doing so day in day out) with a tractor (Fastrac & Dump Trailer) utilising the cheaper diesel, cheaper road tax and no tachograph etc.

Any idea on if this would be feasible or any stumbling blocks I might come across.

Apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong section.

Slackbolts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Slackbolts wrote: »

Just an idea that dawned on me today was to start sand and gravel haulage out of quarries etc to sites across Dublin (as you’d see hundreds of 8 wheeler rigid lorries doing so day in day out) with a tractor (Fastrac & Dump Trailer) utilising the cheaper diesel, cheaper road tax and no tachograph etc.

Any idea on if this would be feasible or any stumbling blocks I might come across.

Slackbolts

I doubt this be an option around Dublin as you need use motorway and tractors not allowed on these...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Slackbolts

I doubt this be an option around Dublin as you need use motorway and tractors not allowed on these...

Incorrect, most modern tractors have a top speed of 50km/h which is the minimum required speed on motorways once in the left lane, fastrac has a 70km/h speed limit which is well In excess of the minimum requirement.

Thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 7,509 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

most tracters are allowed on the motorway. fastrac would be able to break the speed limit on lots of the motorways in dublin

Slackbolts

cheap fuel is for agri use not comercial,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I think the fast tracks are allowed on motorways
    But the stumbling block I see is getting the unit around housing estates delivering loads to extension builders
    Always tought there be a window for a small bottle mixer and half load deliveries of sand and gravel

• Advertisement

cheap fuel is for agri use not comercial,

Any tractor that any of the big plant hire/Civils are using at present hardly has pump diesel in it do they, would be very surprised?

But the stumbling block I see is getting the unit around housing estates delivering loads to extension builders
    Always tought there be a window for a small bottle mixer and half load deliveries of sand and gravel

you see those out foreign . basically a small bottle on a flat bed small ridged . probably bring 4 meters i would guess. im supprised we dont have them

What would your insurance policy say?

Your right to be clear I know for a fact the tractor and trailer on the motorway would not be an issue, I wouldn’t be too worried about manoeuvrability.

Any tractor that any of the big plant hire/Civils are using at present hardly has pump diesel in it do they, would be very surprised?

its not unhear of for tracters to be dipped to see if they are using agri. a few down here were done for it a few years back if i remember corectly

• Advertisement

What would your insurance policy say?

That’s what I’m here for, I know big firms such as Shannon valley have tractors on the road, I’m guessing t would be a fleet policy.

its not unhear of for tracters to be dipped to see if they are using agri. a few down here were done for it a few years back if i remember corectly

I wasn’t aware, food for thought.

Incorrect, most modern tractors have a top speed of 50km/h which is the minimum required speed on motorways once in the left lane, fastrac has a 70km/h speed limit which is well In excess of the minimum requirement.

Thanks for the reply

I thought tractors and slow moving vehicles (like my derbi 50cc) not allowed.
    Still 50k per hour too slow on motorway too slow for me and dangerous.
    Normal traffic 100kph and you max 50, loaded likely 40...
    Buy a big rig and make serious money... i get you good deal....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Bad idea to base a business on a bit of dodgy diesel fraud

Anyway you'll get reported for green every week

As stated above we’re talking about a JCB Fastrac which has a 70km/h box

• Site Banned Posts: 21 U2erthy

I read if it can reach 50 I'm an hour it can go on motorways but tractor and trailer will need to be marked as such
    You need w licence to drive you will need insurance I would ask the garda about using red diesel on the road full time it's probably not allowed

gctest50 wrote: »
    Bad idea to base a business on a bit of dodgy diesel fraud

Anyway you'll get reported for green every week

I agree, was just curious to see if the tractors currently used in construction have pump or agree diesel!

U2erthy wrote: »
    I read if it can reach 50 I'm an hour it can go on motorways but tractor and trailer will need to be marked as such
    You need w licence to drive you will need insurance

That’s correct, licence isn’t an issue.

I thought it was EU rule that tractors and slow moving vehicles not allowed on motorways?
    It may be that they are allowed where limit and are not allowed where limit 120 kph...

I thought it was EU rule that tractors and slow moving vehicles not allowed on motorways?
    It may be that they are allowed where limit and are not allowed where limit 120 kph...

I know for a fact they are that’s not the question being asked here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,859 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's a poor idea, you'd be better off doing something else.

It's a poor idea, you'd be better off doing something else.

Thanks for the input

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

I know lads that regularly haul livestock and meal 200km round trips with fastracks all running agri juice down the M9. Could be a different kettle of fish in town with 20t of hard-core.
    I wouldnt say your the first to think about it. But you regularly see a fair few civil company branded machines traveling around the roads with low loaders full of pipes , culverts and what not, can't say I've noticed many hauling muck or stone

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

The civils crews running these have a contract rate for road diesel, which brings down their running cost, plus they can reclaim the vat etc. If you want to go this road go with one of the civils crowds as a subcontractor on an hourly rate. Eventually you could take on muck away/ stone in type jobs in your own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kiernan2

Trucks on Irish roads are limited to 90 km/h while pulling a trailer on motorways and 80 km/h on all other roads. Most Fastracs are generally able to reach 65 km/h with some able to reach 80 km/h. So it’s not really dangerous, plus costs are considerably cheaper with tax, insurance and diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

No doubt about it you would probably be kept going, theres a guy near me that made his living that way, just a couple of points, if I were you I'd forget about the dump trailer and buy a flat bed tipper with drop sides, you can carry bags of sand, gravel, blocks or anything that can be carried on pallets and unleaded with a teleporter, I'd also get a waste permit number and stick a set of mesh sides on it for dump runs out of builders sites, maybe something to consider so you're not tied to delivering just loose materials

Kiernan2 wrote: »
    Trucks on Irish roads are limited to 90 km/h while pulling a trailer on motorways and 80 km/h on all other roads. Most Fastracs are generally able to reach 65 km/h with some able to reach 80 km/h. So it’s not really dangerous, plus costs are considerably cheaper with tax, insurance and diesel.

I am pretty confident agriculture tractors not allowed on motorways in EU.
    It may be the OP does not need use motorways but this will confine business to very small area if around Dublin in my view.
    If the OP wants to find out i am sure insurance company clarify....

I am pretty confident agriculture tractors not allowed on motorways in EU.
    It may be the OP does not need use motorways but this will confine business to very small area if around Dublin in my view.
    If the OP wants to find out i am sure insurance company clarify....

This has been clarified numerous times already

westgolf wrote: »
    The civils crews running these have a contract rate for road diesel, which brings down their running cost, plus they can reclaim the vat etc. If you want to go this road go with one of the civils crowds as a subcontractor on an hourly rate. Eventually you could take on muck away/ stone in type jobs in your own right.

Interesting points, appreciate the suggestions, I know of some civils crowds definitely using agri diesel which I wasn’t aware was illegal. Sub contractor route might be the way to go

• Advertisement

This has been clarified numerous times already

Where has it being clarified...

Advertisement