Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petty Sessions, No Image (Ancestry)

Options
  • 14-03-2021 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

While I have been pretty lucky with locating relatives in the Petty Sessions available through my Ancestry subscription, I have come across a couple which are lacking an image to view any details but I can tell by the description that they are concerning my relations.

As you can see in the attached image, this is a record from the Tomgraney/Tuamgraney Court on 04 March 1876 for John O'Brien from Ahanish/Aughinish.

If someone can help me figure out a way to view these sort of records I would be greatly appreciative!
    I don't have any subscriptions for FamilySearch or FindMyPast

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

First off, it's worth noting that Family Search does not require any form of subscription.

And in relation to your query I note that when I try to browse the records for Tomgraney there are none available to view so presumably this is a fault on the part of Ancestry which they need to address.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Thanks Hermy
    I might contact Ancestry and see if they could shed some light, there's little use to publishing these records without at least a transcript

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

It's common for Ancestry to publish records without details. In this case the details are available in findmypast: (1) complainant Dominick Hogan, Drewsborough; witnesses Dominick Hogan, James(?) Forbes(?), James(?) Bowes(?); cause of complaint Having with others assaulted Compton the 1 May 1876 at Scariff Co. Clare; outcome unreadable. (2) complainant John Lynch con.; witnesses unreadable Bond(?), Patrick Reeves(?); cause of complaint Being engaged in an affray & committing a breach of the peace at Scariff Co. Clare 1 May 1876; outcome Fined 2 pounds & costs 3/6, paid. Findmypast also dates these 4 Mar. 1876; perhaps it is the beginning of the file.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The unreadable outcome looks like 'Dismissed __________' with the old 'f' type double s. Dreadful writing. Might be worth going back to see if earlier similar entries were more legible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Thanks Hermy
    I might contact Ancestry and see if they could shed some light, there's little use to publishing these records without at least a transcript

Images for Lisdoonvarna and Mountshannon are also missing but all others for County Clare appear to be intact.

It's probably something that can be rectified if brought to their attention.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Earnest wrote: »
    It's common for Ancestry to publish records without details. In this case the details are available in findmypast: (1) complainant Dominick Hogan, Drewsborough; witnesses Dominick Hogan, James(?) Forbes(?), James(?) Bowes(?); cause of complaint Having with others assaulted Compton the 1 May 1876 at Scariff Co. Clare; outcome unreadable. (2) complainant John Lynch con.; witnesses unreadable Bond(?), Patrick Reeves(?); cause of complaint Being engaged in an affray & committing a breach of the peace at Scariff Co. Clare 1 May 1876; outcome Fined 2 pounds & costs 3/6, paid. Findmypast also dates these 4 Mar. 1876; perhaps it is the beginning of the file.

Thank you for transcribing, so there is no mention of a John O'Brien of Ahanish?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thank you for transcribing, so there is no mention of a John O'Brien of Ahanish?

PM me an email I will send you images.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

I was giving you the extra bits, of course they were for John O'Brien of Ahanish.

spurious wrote: »
    PM me an email I will send you images.

Got them, thanks a million

Thanks everyone else also for your input

Advertisement