Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large In wall back box for hiding cables - against regs?

Options
  • 14-03-2021 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

Is there a reason that it seems to be difficult to find a large back box to put into a plasterboard wall in Ireland? Something like this: https://images.app.goo.gl/BgZKqVdxdjBd3JgN9

I’ve been searching for 30 odd minutes and all photos and links seem to point to the US. This makes me think that there’s a regulatory reason it’s not common in the UK or Ireland. Any body have an idea?

I was hoping to use one to hide some cables and a sky box behind tv. But at most to hold an extension lead. Maybe I’m using the wrong search terms?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

meercat wrote: »

But they’re not boxes, just doors, right?

I was planning to put place Apple TV and sky a box with an Ethernet switch in for example. One the telly was over them on the wall you wouldn’t need a door to allow heat to dissipate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Pete123456 wrote: »
    But they’re not boxes, just doors, right?

I was planning to put place Apple TV and sky a box with an Ethernet switch in for example. One the telly was over them on the wall you wouldn’t need a door to allow heat to dissipate

Why not putt the Apple TV box,sky box,Ethernet switch in a cupboard/press near the tv and just run cables to the tv instead. It’d be a much neater installation and easier to get at/replace components if required

• Site Banned Posts: 21 U2erthy

Look up ebay or aliexpress for a recessed box or junction box any electrical wholesaler should have a plastic junction box you will need air holes or leave cover off to stop over heating Amazon has ones that mount behind tv on tv or you could use velcro to mount everything on back tv

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd be very wary of putting devices in an enclosed box. Sky boxes in particular tend to generate quite a bit of heat.

• Advertisement

Yeah my plan was for what you see in my link in my original post, It’s just a large back box with nothing covering it, the tv would be mounted in front of it.

I may not have the option of a cabinet, so I’m considering my options without just lashing a shelf on the wall underneath the TV. power and Ethernet are already run to tv height.

Will have another look on aliexpress and eBay, thanks for the tip. It seems there are loads in the US, but it’s not Cost effective to bring over I don’t think.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

Thanks, I had seen that but not sure of the price or if they ship to Ireland. Will give them a ring and report back

Apparently they don’t sell direct and don’t have distributors in Ireland... based on some searching it’s $200 in the US so god knows what it would be here. Nevermind I guess!

Apparently they don’t sell direct and don’t have distributors in Ireland... based on some searching it’s $200 in the US so god knows what it would be here. Nevermind I guess!

Debating now whether something like this would work if I was to trim the sides so only the top lip was left. Apparently can handle 60 degrees so would be worried if sky box or switch was getting that hot

https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/6-9-ltr-small-euro-plastic-stacking-container/

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Debating now whether something like this would work if I was to trim the sides so only the top lip was left. Apparently can handle 60 degrees so would be worried if sky box or switch was getting that hot

https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/6-9-ltr-small-euro-plastic-stacking-container/

make sure its nowhere near a heat source like a stove etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Recessed consumer unit, whip out the guts and take the door off? Expensive but might work?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    make sure its nowhere near a heat source like a stove etc

Nope you’re right, it won’t be near anything hot and about 4 feet to the left of a rad so should be fine. I’m not set on it yet, but I think it is a viable option :)

kramer1 wrote: »
    Recessed consumer unit, whip out the guts and take the door off? Expensive but might work?

Thanks, could you link to something please?

While I would like to do it “properly”, cost is a factor. If it was going to cost €100+ to put something in place it’s not really worth it.

Also considering it’s a stud wall against an exterior wall I don’t have tons of depth to play with. That’s why I landed on the pizza dough box - it’s only 75mm deep, so even it it protruded a bit, should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Will definitely fit inside a 3 inch stud, not sure how to link stuff, Google flush mounted consumer unit or better still go to an electrical wholesaler and have a chat with the lads behind the counter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Yeah my plan was for what you see in my link in my original post, It’s just a large back box with nothing covering it, the tv would be mounted in front of it.

I would still be wary of this. Many of these devices are not designed to be mounted in that orientation. Some contain heat sinks and have vents carefully placed to allow heat (which rises of course) escape safely. I'm sure that an Apple TV would be fine but I have seen some Sky boxes getting surprisingly hot.

As meercat said:
    meercat wrote: »
    Why not putt the Apple TV box,sky box,Ethernet switch in a cupboard/press near the tv and just run cables to the tv instead. It’d be a much neater installation and easier to get at/replace components if required

The cupboard does not have to be particularly close to the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

I’m not sure about a regulatory issue but there are definitely practical reasons in Europe as construction is entirely different. American homes tend to use a lot of wooden frame and sheet rock / plaster board while European buildings often have internal masonry and plaster walls. In general using deep boxes sunk into walls isn’t very practical in most buildings.

That Samsung One Connect box in the image isn’t suitable for that kind of mounting btw. I have one and they get pretty hot! I definitely wouldn’t put it into any kind of enclosed box.

Also most electronics are designed to be mounted in a particular orientation. If you place a set top box in a position where it can’t cool by convection, they’ll often overheat and fail.

They throw out a lot of heat.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,541 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Also most electronics are designed to be mounted in a particular orientation. If you place a set top box in a position where it can’t cool by convection, they’ll often overheat and fail.

They throw out a lot of heat.

Agreed, that is exactly the point I made in my post above.

Fair point guys, thanks for pointing it out - I hadn’t really thought about it that way! Grand - will go with the cabinet or shelf idea so maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

It’s actually a reason why it’s not a great idea to stack set top boxes too. Often I’d you’ve one that has a metal body they’ll be designed to use it as a heat sink. So when they’re stacked they can get seriously warm!

• Advertisement
Advertisement