Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On/Off Switch - Three Brown Wires

Options
  • 14-03-2021 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hello All,

Looking for a bit of advice on this before swapping out any switches.

Couple of weeks back I was going to swap out an On/Off switch that's connected to a single ceiling light in a bedroom to a dimmer switch, but discovered two thin brown wires were connected to the same connection, along with one thicker brown wire connected to a common connection (From what I've seen).

Would there be any way of swapping this out myself to the dimmer switch, or would an electrician have to look at it? If a photo is required for better visualisation, let me know and I'll upload one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

Hello All,

Looking for a bit of advice on this before swapping out any switches.

Couple of weeks back I was going to swap out an On/Off switch that's connected to a single ceiling light in a bedroom to a dimmer switch, but discovered two thin brown wires were connected to the same connection, along with one thicker brown wire connected to a common connection (From what I've seen).

Would there be any way of swapping this out myself to the dimmer switch, or would an electrician have to look at it? If a photo is required for better visualisation, let me know and I'll upload one.

Easily done by yourself. Take a note of each wire and connect them exactly as they are into your dimmer switch.( i.e two cables into 1 terminal and one cable into the other)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭MichaelDevers

meercat wrote: »
    Easily done by yourself. Take a note of each wire and connect them exactly as they are into your dimmer switch.( i.e two cables into 1 terminal and one cable into the other)

So in the case of connecting up the dimmer switch, the two thin brown wires would go into L1, L2 left unconnected, and then the common into it's own (Common) connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

So in the case of connecting up the dimmer switch, the two thin brown wires would go into L1, L2 left unconnected, and then the common into it's own (Common) connection?

The normal practice would be two wires into com and one wire into L1 but it should function either way.

Advertisement