Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballcock unable to close

Options
  • 14-03-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Need some advice. I've got a pressure pump in the house that supplies water to a bathroom upstairs as the house has a converted attic with no tank.
    My problem is with the toilet in the bathroom I mentioned. I've had 3 different ballcocks in it and all of them never fully close, causing the (noisy) pump to be constantly kicking in as the small drop in pressure is all it takes to activate it.
    I'm wondering if the pressure from the pump is too strong.... Meaning the ballcock can't hold it back.
    The cistern is a bottom fed one, also wondering if there's such a thing as a high pressure ballcock for a bottom fed cistern.... not seeing such a thing after a search.
    Anyways, any help would be appreciated

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

Unless the pump is delivering some crazy pressure there should be no difficulty in the ball valve operating correctly.

It sounds like the fill level is too high and water is overflowing into the pan. If so the level needs to be lowered in the cistern. Traditionally this was achieved by bending a brass float arm downwards, newer plastic assemblies often have an adjusting screw close to the valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭John.G

If its a actual ballcock with a arm then you can change the plastic nozzle in them from low pressure to high pressure, i think they are supplied as low pressure, if so you can get a high pressure nozzle which has a smaller bore it should work but suprised that the water doesn't shut off even with a low pressure nozzle.
    The other type has a internal float and I certainly know of one working perfectly where the mains pressure is 4 bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers for the replies guys. I've tried both the low and high pressure nozzles to no improvement. The pump is set to 1.5bar so not the amount of pressure. Its a regular plastic ballcock with and arm and no amount of adjustment seems to work. It's not set so high as to allow water to overflow into the bowl. One possibility I'm thinking is that there is no small arm to brace the ballcock to the side of the cistern so maybe the whole thing is being forced sideways when the water level rises, therefore not fully sealing the thing closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭John.G

That's possible alright, attached is a photo of a B.Cock that swivals, I think you would be better off with the Fluidmaster type, these fill at a tremendous rate so you may consider a throttling valve on the cold feed to it to stop it robbing other users but this may not be a problem for you.

You may have attached the wrong pic there. Cheers for the reply though

• Advertisement

Looking at the Fluidmaster system here.... I'm guessing that the button to operate the flush can be fitted in the hole where the handle on the current system is

John.G wrote: »
    That's possible alright, attached is a photo of a B.Cock that swivals, I think you would be better off with the Fluidmaster type, these fill at a tremendous rate so you may consider a throttling valve on the cold feed to it to stop it robbing other users but this may not be a problem for you.

Apologies the pics were just messed up on the mobile site.
    Gonna give the Fluidmaster a go , thanks again

HB

Just to update.
    Huge thanks for the recommendation of the Fluidmaster system. What a great piece of kit. Fills faster and quieter and once it stops that's it. Pump has been silent. Button looks good too..... I can pretend I'm in a pub toilet..... Ah memories..... Anyways..... Thanks again

Advertisement