Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick - apps - need VPN

Options
  • 13-03-2021 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭

I have apps on Firestick that need VPN to work -
    Not really up on this - bbc player etc anyone recommend one fir Firestick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭corkie

Discussing how to get around geo restricted content is not allowed on boards.

Google is your friend, also search board threads for VPN's (windscribe is what I use) but not on firestick.

Also search youtube guides for firestick.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

corkie wrote: »
    Discussing how to get around geo restricted content is not allowed on boards.

Google is your friend, also search board threads for VPN's (windscribe is what I use) but not on firestick.

Also search youtube guides for firestick.

Well in theory it is supposedly a no no, but the dedicated firestick thread has pages of it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058088307/95/#post116573432

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭SteM

So the threads on getting cheap amazon prime, cheap Netflix, cheap dazn, cheap ssport, cheap you tube, cheap tidal et all are all against the rules? You should report them so.

Well in theory it is supposedly a no no, but the dedicated firestick thread has pages of it.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058088307/95/#post116573432

Mentioning you use a VPN and connecting to likes of BBC Player etc, seems to be overlooked. But giving detailed instructions on how to setup your devices is probably frowned upon?

As i mention plenty of guides on youtube on how to do so, if the videos/channels haven't be stroke off. Even google is cracking down.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    Mentioning you use a VPN and connecting to likes of BBC Player etc, seems to be overlooked. But giving detailed instructions on how to setup your devices is probably frowned upon?

As i mention plenty of guides on youtube on how to do so, if the videos/channels haven't be stroke off. Even google is cracking down.

I dunno there's step by step instructions how to get Turkish sports here or Indian YouTube, or Turkish Netflix. Boards is as consistent as ever. One of my few infractions from a few years ago was vague instructions on how to listen to cricket from the UK :pac:

So, in summary, I've no idea corkie!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

AFAIK bypassing geo blocking isn't illegal. Discussion of illegal activities isn't permitted eg certain apps etc.

TheDriver wrote: »
    AFAIK bypassing geo blocking isn't illegal. Discussion of illegal activities isn't permitted eg certain apps etc.

Not illegal but was always a boards rule that discussion of bypassing geo restrictions was a no no.

It's actually still in the charter of cable IPTV forum, and a search suggests other forums still don't know the position. As I said, I got a yellow card in the cricket forum for merely saying to use a VPN to listen to test match special on BBC radio.

I don't know if asking for clarification would be a good idea though as the clarification might come back that it's still not allowed, and lots of useful info would be gone.

Not illegal but was always a boards rule that discussion of bypassing geo restrictions was a no no.

It's actually still in the charter of cable IPTV forum, and a search suggests other forums still don't know the position. As I said, I got a yellow card in the cricket forum for merely saying to use a VPN to listen to test match special on BBC radio.

It is also here in Television (General) Television Board Charter (Revised: 24/01/2015) - **PLEASE READ FIRST!**

New Additions - June 2009

Please do not discuss how to capture / download streaming content from any streaming video site. This includes YouTube, RTE Player, Google Video, Metacafe, Hulu etc

While we're on the subject, discussing how to bypass geographical limitations to watch streaming content is also a no-no (i.e. how to watch Hulu outside the US)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It seems to be forum based rather than site based.
    Watching Netflix US through a VPN is not illegal. Nothing wrong with it except it's getting around Netflix licencing issues.
    VPNs even advertise getting around geo blocking. Lately Netflix have stopped blocking recognised VPNs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭horse7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭nickkohl

Nice

Advertisement