Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Zgemma H7

  • 13-03-2021 7:10pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭


    Hi folks, I 'm thinking of buying this "Zgemma H7S 4K UHD H.265 HEVC Triple Tuner Combo" with 500gb hard drive and USB wireless. What is the best way to go re software, I would like it to be as plug and play as possible but it seems that some initial set is necessary either way.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brendan.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭refusetolose


    use openvix for the image
    you might not get the usb wireless to work


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭dubrov


    If you need wireless go for the SF8008. It's basically the same box with wireless.

    Openvix will run on either and will look and feel exactly the same


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573


    Do ye know of anywhere selling either of these boxes already set up with tuners and a WiFi adapter? Ideally in the EU and with the software preloaded.

    I'm tempted by an all in one setup but I'm slightly put off by the amount of messing that seems to be involved.


  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭lgs 4


    athlone573 wrote: »
    Do ye know of anywhere selling either of these boxes already set up with tuners and a WiFi adapter? Ideally in the EU and with the software preloaded.

    I'm tempted by an all in one setup but I'm slightly put off by the amount of messing that seems to be involved.
    I get mine there

    https://www.satworld.ie/


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573


    Thanks. I may call them to see if they can recommend a WiFi dongle.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭lgs 4


    athlone573 wrote: »
    Thanks. I may call them to see if they can recommend a WiFi dongle.

    The wifi is dongle is revez .


  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭topazkk


    use openvix for the image
    you might not get the usb wireless to work

    Thanks for the reply, why is that, are WiFi dongles generally a bad idea or is it just the model that they supply?


  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭topazkk


    dubrov wrote: »
    If you need wireless go for the SF8008. It's basically the same box with wireless.

    Openvix will run on either and will look and feel exactly the same

    This doesn't appear to have a terrestrial tuner though or am I incorrect?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭DopeTech


    topazkk wrote: »
    This doesn't appear to have a terrestrial tuner though or am I incorrect?

    Seems to be a couple of different tuner configurations available

    2 x DVB-S
    Or
    1 x DVB-S and 1 DVB-T.

    You could most likely buy a usb terrestrial tuner and add it to the box like many of the other linux boxes but be sure to find out which ones work in this box first as they don't always all work on every box.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭swoofer


    SF8008 I dont think it has an internal hdd. Wireless is so dependent on so many things, router, distance from router, type of usb dongle used. A better option is, long lan cable, hidden, or powerline adaptors. If you have super wi fi and a good dongle then it is ok

    The idea of setting up box yourself is so you know what to do when it misbehaves.

    Say what you need and I'll ..

    And as always you get what you pay for, cheap not good, i got a vu+ one and it works.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭refusetolose


    topazkk wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, why is that, are WiFi dongles generally a bad idea or is it just the model that they supply?

    seems like they're a bad idea with this box although some people do get it working

    might just need to find the right driver for it


  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573


    seems like they're a bad idea with this box although some people do get it working

    might just need to find the right driver for it

    Can people please post their experiences of specific WiFi dongles with the Zgemma? It would be useful as this box is flavour of the month.


  • Registered Users Posts: 20,127 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005


    Search the big thread about the H7 for "dongles" and you will see some results.


Advertisement