Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 day cycling route

Options
  • 13-03-2021 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Living in hope that come august we may be allowed some form of inter county travel!!

Has anyone any routes that would cover a two day weekend. Or start one place, stay over night somewhere then finish up some place different? Something along those lines.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Where from....how fast.....how far?
    Use an online tool such as www.ridewithgps.com to plot your route - it will show elevation along the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Any of the fingers of Kerry and also beara peninsula would be a good start, with train to tralee or killarney

Each finger would offer a decent moderate 2 day spin (you could do each in one hard day but I think 80 - 120k moderate is probably ideal max for a leisure spin)

Pick a town and get your accommodation on booking or whatever

David Flanagan's cycling in ireland is good for generating ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Living in hope that come august we may be allowed some form of inter county travel!!

Has anyone any routes that would cover a two day weekend. Or start one place, stay over night somewhere then finish up some place different? Something along those lines.
    I have done south Dublin to Enniscorthy via coast road (Brittas ect) to Arklow, stayed over night in Enniscorthy and came back via Woodenbridge, Rathdrum, Roundwood.
    About 115/120km for me each way. Riverside Hotel in Enniscorthy was reasonable price and a nice spot..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Also komoot another good app for plotting a route on quiet roads automatically for you. It will then give you audio cues telling you where to turn though obv a full day of that will eat battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    I have done south Dublin to Enniscorthy via coast road (Brittas ect) to Arklow, stayed over night in Enniscorthy and came back via Woodenbridge, Rathdrum, Roundwood.
    About 115/120km for me each way. Riverside Hotel in Enniscorthy was reasonable price and a nice spot..

Did something similar with the wife. Same hotel similar return, though we went Blesso, Tinahely, sort of, and down and over mount Leinster on the way down. Plenty options anyway either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭mvt

If you check the audax Ireland website you might get a few ideas.

Sounds like a great plan, enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Where from....how fast.....how far?
    Use an online tool such as www.ridewithgps.com to plot your route - it will show elevation along the route.

I have the apps alright was just wondering if anyone had nice routes that they had done precociously, don’t particularly mind where, I’m from Dublin so not there onbciously.

mvt wrote: »
    If you check the audax Ireland website you might get a few ideas.

Sounds like a great plan, enjoy it.

Great stuff thanks will take a look

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

I have done the ring of kerry then up to galway a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭Ryath

Did it a two nighter few years ago early train to Galway, followed the Wild Atlantic Way, Clifden first night, Achill the second, cycled to Balina and got a late train back the 3rd day. Stayed in cheap hotels. Travelled very light just one ortlieb front roller pannier.

Did a 3 night one to Doolin a few years stayed in campsites this time. One night there and on two different campsites on way down and back. Bit heavier loaded two panniers, handlebar bag and tent in a dry bag on top of rack. Tried to be self sufficient to carried and cooked all my food bar one diner in Doolin.

Planning to do another this summer might try the train again to Cork or Tralee and do anther section of the WAW. Might just have a look around and plot another loop based on campsites either.
    Hopefully as kids get older I can get out for a few short ones more regularly and some day I'll be able to go for proper ones for a week or two.

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »
    Did it a two nighter few years ago early train to Galway, followed the Wild Atlantic Way, Clifden first night, Achill the second, cycled to Balina and got a late train back the 3rd day. Stayed in cheap hotels. Travelled very light just one ortlieb front roller pannier.

Did a 3 night one to Doolin a few years stayed in campsites this time. One night there and on two different campsites on way down and back. Bit heavier loaded two panniers, handlebar bag and tent in a dry bag on top of rack. Tried to be self sufficient to carried and cooked all my food bar one diner in Doolin.

Planning to do another this summer might try the train again to Cork or Tralee and do anther section of the WAW. Might just have a look around and plot another loop based on campsites either.
    Hopefully as kids get older I can get out for a few short ones more regularly and some day I'll be able to go for proper ones for a week or two.

They sound great thanks, I’m the same regarding the kids, when they get older I’ll be planning some long trips, wife isn’t aware of that plan yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Based in Dublin:

Canals Loop: So out on the Grand, get to Shannon Harbour then back via Athlone-Mullingar Greenway and Royal Canal. Or continue up to Cloondara and back along the Royal.

Can be done the other way too. If you're tired or running late you can get a train from multiple points. You can also cut across near Daingean and head to Kilbeggan and up to Mullingar.

Train to Sligo and cycle to Ballina or on to Westport.
    Train to Boyle, Lough Key, Lough Arrow, over Ox mountains and Easkey Bog to Ballina
    Train to Ballina, NW Mayo, out to Blacksod, Achill and back to Westport
    Train to Westport and on to Galway.
    Train to Belfast cycle to Derry
    Train to Coleraine, cycle to Magilliagan Point, ferry to Inishowen, Malin and back to Derry via any amount of routes in North Donegal.
    Cycle as far along the Barrow as possible and train back from Carlow or further.
    Train to Lisburn or Portadown and back along the canal to Newry, then a loop of Carlingford peninsula. Train home from Dundalk/Drogheda or wherever.
    Train to Galway, Burren, West Clare, Loop Head, Tarbert Ferry and back from Tralee, or back to Ennis.

Loads of variations of the above routes if you're tired or if you feel like pushing on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭positron

^^^ Great list and so much choice!!

Pre-covid, I used to fancy a ferry to Wales or flying to Spain just to cycle.

Now I would be equally happy if I could do some of the routes mentioned above.

Pandemic teaching valuable life lessons.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you were based in dublin, get the train to galway and cycle home over two days?
    or one day if you get a strong westerly.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 cblanc

KevRossi wrote: »
    Based in Dublin:

Canals Loop: So out on the Grand, get to Shannon Harbour then back via Athlone-Mullingar Greenway and Royal Canal. Or continue up to Cloondara and back along the Royal.

Can be done the other way too. If you're tired or running late you can get a train from multiple points. You can also cut across near Daingean and head to Kilbeggan and up to Mullingar.

Train to Sligo and cycle to Ballina or on to Westport.
    Train to Boyle, Lough Key, Lough Arrow, over Ox mountains and Easkey Bog to Ballina
    Train to Ballina, NW Mayo, out to Blacksod, Achill and back to Westport
    Train to Westport and on to Galway.
    Train to Belfast cycle to Derry
    Train to Coleraine, cycle to Magilliagan Point, ferry to Inishowen, Malin and back to Derry via any amount of routes in North Donegal.
    Cycle as far along the Barrow as possible and train back from Carlow or further.
    Train to Lisburn or Portadown and back along the canal to Newry, then a loop of Carlingford peninsula. Train home from Dundalk/Drogheda or wherever.
    Train to Galway, Burren, West Clare, Loop Head, Tarbert Ferry and back from Tralee, or back to Ennis.

Loads of variations of the above routes if you're tired or if you feel like pushing on a bit.

Nice. Thanks

Advertisement