Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help save mothers day - rhubarb emergency!

Options
  • 13-03-2021 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭

My mam loves rhubarb and I had planned to make her this rhubarb cake for mothers day with garden rhubarb i had in the freezer since last summer however turns out i used most of it already for pies earlier in the year and forgot about that, there is only 274g left, disaster!

Looking at Tesco and Supervalu's websites it doesn't look like they stock it at this time of year so I was thinking of perhaps substituting the remaining quantity of rhubarb with strawberry perhaps.
    Anyone have any suggestions or even know somewhere that is currently selling fresh or frozen rhubarb?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Supercell wrote: »
    My mam loves rhubarb and I had planned to make her this rhubarb cake for mothers day with garden rhubarb i had in the freezer since last summer however turns out i used most of it already for pies earlier in the year and forgot about that, there is only 274g left, disaster!

Looking at Tesco and Supervalu's websites it doesn't look like they stock it at this time of year so I was thinking of perhaps substituting the remaining quantity of rhubarb with strawberry perhaps.
    Anyone have any suggestions or even know somewhere that is currently selling fresh or frozen rhubarb?

Have you tried musgraves or anywhere like that? There must be some way of sourcing it because our canteen in work regularly has rhubarb crumble or rhubarb & custard on the menu. You could always buy and dissect a few rhubarb tarts from the shop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I had planned to make her this rhubarb cake for mothers day with garden rhubarb i had in the freezer since last summer however turns out i used most of it already for pies earlier in the year and forgot about that, there is only 274g left, disaster!

400g rhubarb, serves 16 - how many portions would your mother normally eat? :D

As someone who absolutely detests the combination of rhubarb and strawberries, I would gladly settle for an 8-portion cake made with the 274g of pure rhubarb and half the remaining ingredients!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭geordi

Where are you based? Spotted some in Lennox St Grover in Portobello, Dublin 8.

Failing that, get in touch with Ryan's Rhubarb (search for the name on instagram) and he will sort you with stockists.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I was recently in need of rhubarb.
    Found frozen in Musgrave but it was very big and not particularly tasty.

This week someone got me some in Ardkeen, Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Reduce all the other cake ingredients by about a 3rd and make a slightly smaller cake

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭phormium

You can be full sure the canteen is not using fresh stuff, tinned or frozen I'd say :)

OP I would just reduce the cake size too and make her one big enough for herself! I dislike strawberries with rhubarb too, don't get the combination at all. If you know anyone that grows rhubarb they might have a few stalks to bulk out what you have, mine is growing at the moment, skinny little stalks but would do in a push.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks guys, think i'll just reduce the cake size so as I was was a bit unsure about the strawberry and rhubarb combo myself to be honest. There is a Musgraves in Sallynoggin near me here however its not open to the public so its not a runner unfortunately. Half thinking of alternatively adding some cooking apples with the rhubarb which might be less jarring than strawberries, she does love apples too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've mixed apple and rhubarb in a crumble and it's lovely.

I've mixed apple and rhubarb in a crumble and it's lovely.

Thanks, just did a search for crumble recipes and decided to do this one , as long as I dont make a balls of it I think she'll be well pleased :)

Baked the cake/crumble above (i used two granny smiths instead of one as they were fairly small) and it was a huge success, apparently it's now a mothers day thing :)
    Thanks to all for the advice, especially steering me clear of the Strawberry's, my mum said yuck at the thought so dodged a bullet there !

• Advertisement
Advertisement