Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outnif date gels-safe?

Options
  • 11-03-2021 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I bought a packet of SIS Go Isotonic gels last year. About to head off on a ride & noticed use by/best before Jan 2021.
    Advisable not to drink them or should they be fine?

Thanks,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    I bought a packet of SIS Go Isotonic gels last year. About to head off on a ride & noticed use by/best before Jan 2021.

Thanks,
    Pa

They'll be fine I've used some a lot more out of date than that. Best before is different than use by date and usually relates to the packaging.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,922 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

worth checking is it actually a use by or best before date. they mean different things; use by usually refers to a product which actually becomes unsafe to eat as it ages, AFAIK; best before means they go stale, etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Most gels are sugary enough that its not really a risk even a few years later. Take a trial run one and stay alot bit closer to home than the 5km limit requires to be on the safe side :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'm using ones dated "best before 2018"!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

My current stock of High 5 is June 2020. Still going strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Are they ever in date??

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

dinneenp wrote: »

Personally speaking, I'd never advise anyone to consume that goo, in date or out!

Advertisement