Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADHD in an adult.

• 11-03-2021 7:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

45 year old male here.

Always felt if I was a kid and adhd was a thing back thing back then, I would have been diagnosed for sure, but I felt the adhd traits in me would fade as I matured and got older. Guess what they didnt, maybe even got worse.

So last week I got a private assessment, and it seems I am indeed adhd, I am waiting on the full report, but wonder does anyone else here have any tips, or experiences to share with me ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

From from Psychology. PI charter now applies.

Have a look at ADHD Ireland https://adhdireland.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭leinsterdude

Hi, thanks, been on to them, they are very nice, but cant do much, seems near impossible to get and suitable meds for Adult ADHD in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hi, ive suspected for years that I may have this, mostly the inattentive type. I dont want to give medical advise as thats not allowed im also not an expert and havnt been formally diagnosed so I would suggest talking to your own doctor about it and they will likely prescribe you something thats suitable for you.
    Speaking from my own personal experience I was prescribed Brintellix, its an anti depressant but is used to treat anxiety and from what ive heard it can help with ADHD.

Ive seen a pretty big improvement since I started it, I can go to sleep at a reasonable time each night, im not staying awake getting distracted by things or just lying awake unable to shut down.
    My focus has improved hugely for example I start things and never finish them, one of these things was a room in the house that I started to redecorate a year ago and left it half painted. Since ive been on these meds I have the room now nearly finished, im even painting the ceiling. Im much more productive and able to keep on track and stay focused on tasks.
    Im able to drive my car as im not distracted by everything going on around me.
    Im much better able to watch movies etc as im able to focus long enough without drifting off into daydreams. My memory has also improved and I dont have high anxiety like I used to.
    Could Brintellix or something similar be something you could ask your doctor about?

I also feel that eating a healthy diet & trying to get some exercise in each week can help with motivation and overall mood and that helps with attentiveness.
    Sorry that wasnt more helpful but theres a thread for ADHD in the long term illness forum that might be more helpful to you.

Thanks for the reply, I am really going to try for the brands they use in the UK/US, as they seem to work, I just fear they wont give them to me, seems very restricted here.

Thanks for the reply, I am really going to try for the brands they use in the UK/US, as they seem to work, I just fear they wont give them to me, seems very restricted here.

Im open to correction but as far as im aware most of the medications for ADHD aren't licensed for adults although doctors do still prescribe them. From what ive been told, most of the ADHD medications are specifically used to treat hyperactivity & impulse control which both mostly effect children & teenagers with the hyperactive type ADHD.
    Ive also been told (although open to correction) that to treat the other symptoms of ADHD such as attention, anxiety, memory ect anti depressant medication is used because some anti depressants improve cognitive function.

Speak to your doctor about your options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hi, thanks, been on to them, they are very nice, but cant do much, seems near impossible to get and suitable meds for Adult ADHD in Ireland.

I did hear about someone having to get support from Northern Ireland owing to a lack of adult services here.

This the HSE plan which was launched a few months ago. https://www.hse.ie/eng/about/who/cspd/ncps/mental-health/adhd/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Friend had to travel to Belfast for treatment but it cost them a fortune and they had to stop even though the drugs made a massive difference.

Caranica wrote: »
    Friend had to travel to Belfast for treatment but it cost them a fortune and they had to stop even though the drugs made a massive difference.

Why did they have to stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭dbas

Hi all,

45 year old male here.

Always felt if I was a kid and adhd was a thing back thing back then, I would have been diagnosed for sure, but I felt the adhd traits in me would fade as I matured and got older. Guess what they didnt, maybe even got worse.

So last week I got a private assessment, and it seems I am indeed adhd, I am waiting on the full report, but wonder does anyone else here have any tips, or experiences to share with me ?

Thanks.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057610250/1/#post100046725

There's a forum on it in long term illness.
    I got diagnosed in St Pat's in Dublin. About 600 yoyos for the assessment and a year's wait list of I remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Why did they have to stop?

Ran out of money

• Advertisement

dbas wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057610250/1/#post100046725

There's a forum on it in long term illness.
    I got diagnosed in St Pat's in Dublin. About 600 yoyos for the assessment and a year's wait list of I remember correctly

You got diagnosed, then what happened after that ? what were the next steps ?

Advertisement