Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm worried about someone.

• 10-03-2021 10:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'll try and keep this short. I've been meeting a woman lately. (not in a romantic way) just for walks. With Lockdown obviously things are tough for all of us. I found that she was very up and down emotionally and she told me she is is having problems at home with her family. Not abuse or anything but not getting on well with her parents and siblings. She mentioned the other day that she had previously attempted suicide a few years ago and I also found out she is bi polar. What I'm concerened about is when I asked her if she is having any bad thoughts she started crying and said she is but she wouldn't and I believe her. I offered to take her to a doctor or call somebody then she said she was ok after 5mins. I'm just wondering if anybody out there has any experience like this as I'm genuinely worried about this lady.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

Don't be that guy that tries to be her saviour or fix her. If you genuinely see her as a friend just be a good listener and compassionate and good fun to be around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

TheadoreT wrote: »
    Don't be that guy that tries to be her saviour or fix her. If you genuinely see her as a friend just be a good listener and compassionate and good fun to be around.

This is the best advice. Listen openly and do not offer advice or help unless she specifically asks for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Op there's some help here for you or anyone who might have to have a difficult conversation about suicidal thoughts.

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/mental-health/supporting-someone-who-might-be-suicidal.html

I think the most important thing is to urge her to speak with her GP or to call the Samaritans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

Hi OP

Like a previous poster stated, don't be the person to try and fix this girl. Not only will it land you deeper than you are but you'll be turning your head and questioning every single thing she does to make sure she is okay. That's fine and a nice trait to have but this girl has her own issues which you can't take on yourself.

There's plenty of help out there and there's plenty of support groups that she can contact if she feels she needs professional help. You're not a professional and your needs and emotions are just has important as your friends. If needs be, you can contact support for yourself to get advice to make it easier for you to be friends but please don't feel you need to be the person that has to "fix" her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

TheadoreT wrote: »
    This 100%.

Just listen cheer her up.

Rest assured if she needs something specific she will ask.

Trying to save her will actually make her feel weird ...like you think there is something wrong with her ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement