Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Advise Please

Options
  • 10-03-2021 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭

Hi,

so, I need a new phone, but I certainly don't need a flag ship, so I am wondering if someone has any suggestions for this user profile

What it needs to do
    • Big Screen
    • At least 90 Hz Refresh / 120 even better
    • NFC
    • Good Voice Quality
    • Good Browsing performance
    • Good Screen Quality for reading News articles
    • Good Audio Quality

What would be nice
    • Headphone Jack (with a good DAC)
    • No Bloatware

What I don't do
    • Gaming
    • Photos
    • Video
    • 5G

I only use the phone for voice communications, emails, paying in the shops, music on the go (mostly Tidal) and most frequently to have a snoop on boards, flipboard (news magazine) and some general web browsing.

Thanks for any tips about a good phone with value for money, I am at most looking to spend 500€.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Moto g9 plus. Currently reduced. Buy direct from lenovo. Huge screen, nfc and big battery for 220.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,887 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Budget? Sony Xperia 5ii is just under flagship, about €800. I'm not sure it ticks the 'Big screen' box however. Depending on where you purchase you might get a pair of XB-900N headphones thrown in which are optimised for the 360 audio option on Tidal.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

OnePlus Nord?

Ticks most of your boxes except headphone jack, and the top 12Gb/256Gb spec currently has a limited €50 off offer pricing it below €500... And you may be able to get it cheaper again by trading in your old phone too:
    https://www.oneplus.com/ie/oneplus-nord?from=nord-specs

I have it's big brother the 8T with similar hardware and OS. Yes, it's got OP's Oxygen skin but it's very minimal and well-integrated, and imo in no way "bloats" the normal Android experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

OnePlus Nord?

Ticks most of your boxes except headphone jack, and the top 12Gb/256Gb spec currently has a limited €50 off offer pricing it below €500... And you may be able to get it cheaper again by trading in your old phone too:
    https://www.oneplus.com/ie/oneplus-nord?from=nord-specs

I have it's big brother the 8T with similar hardware and OS. Yes, it's got OP's Oxygen skin but it's very minimal and well-integrated, and imo in no way "bloats" the normal Android experience

Read somewhere this has no playstore which might be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Incorrect. Playstore and all usual Google apps loaded as normal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,765 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Probably some ill-informed iphone users comment you read. Huawei is the brand that doesn't have Google Play services on some of it's devices. OnePlus have no such issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,648 ✭✭✭corks finest

DopeTech wrote: »
    Probably some ill-informed iphone users comment you read. Huawei is the brand that doesn't have Google Play services on some of it's devices. OnePlus have no such issues.

Correct

Advertisement