Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drainage hole garden wal

Options
  • 10-03-2021 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

The water from my driveway all drains to one corner, against a small 2ft high wall at the front of the garden. The brick wall is 8” thick. When washing the car or hosing, water tends to pool in the area of the photo where the granite blocks meet the wall leading to a buildup of silt. Was thinking it would be an idea to drill a hole through the brick wall out onto the path to allow water to run through. Anyone a better suggestion , or how to go about this?
    Thanks

https://ibb.co/Mst9mm8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

wow. Civic minded what? Instead of being a neat and clean person and using a yard brush to sweep your waste into a shore you are going to drill a wall and let your outflow and waste onto a public pathway? Really?
    And you don’t forsee any problems with this - ethical or otherwise?
    What kind of a country are we living in?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Summer2020

wow. Civic minded what? Instead of being a neat and clean person and using a yard brush to sweep your waste into a shore you are going to drill a wall and let your outflow and waste onto a public pathway? Really?
    And you don’t forsee any problems with this - ethical or otherwise?
    What kind of a country are we living in?

I’m looking for a solution to the problem of standing water not a lecture.Get off your high horse.
    The vast majority of the run off from the cleaning of the car goes out onto the roadway in any event down the driveway and to the nearest shore. Some of it gets trapped in the low point of the cobble lock and I’m seeking a suggestion on how to negate this and route the remainder to the road whereupon it’ll make its way to the shore also.

What kind of a post was that to make in all fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Summer2020 wrote: »
    I’m looking for a solution to the problem of standing water not a lecture.Get off your high horse.
    The vast majority of the run off from the cleaning of the car goes out onto the roadway in any event down the driveway and to the nearest shore. Some of it gets trapped in the low point of the cobble lock and I’m seeking a suggestion on how to negate this and route the remainder to the road whereupon it’ll make its way to the shore also.

What kind of a post was that to make in all fairness.

what kind of scummer washes his car, drills a hole in his wall and runs all the sirl, grease and silt onto a public pathway? You apparently. Unbelievable.

what kind of scummer washes his car, drills a hole in his wall and runs all the sirl, grease and silt onto a public pathway? You apparently. Unbelievable.

I was looking for suggestion on a channel drain or a hole in the wall. Can you give a suggestion for where the water from washing my car should go *other* than onto the road and down a shore?
    As I’ve already stated, 98% of the runoff currently goes down driveway onto road and into the shore as the driveway is built on a slope. There’s an amount of it left standing that I want to reroute to the road/shore also.

Personal abuse also, lovely. No wonder people are hesitant to post on this forum if this is the caliber of response. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Have you potential to put in a gully or aco channel and connect to existing surface water drainage within your site ? ?
    Where is your current rainwater going ? I would avoid running onto public path (assuming it is public).
    Could cause an accident, personal injury etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

Pretty sure it is an offence to direct water from your property onto a public footpath or road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

landcrzr wrote: »
    Pretty sure it is an offence to direct water from your property onto a public footpath or road.

Agree with this. The other poster was a bit blunt but he was right. You should have a drain at the lowest point of your driveway either leading to a soakpit or to the main drainage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haha

Of all the ills in this world, this lad died for some dirty water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭dathi

lawred2 wrote: »
    Haha

Of all the ills in this world, this lad died for some dirty water

no they wont die of dirty water they will just take a case against "summer" for a slip hazard that he has created outside his house soft tissue damage claims will get them anything from 10 grand up

dathi wrote: »
    no they wont die of dirty water they will just take a case against "summer" for a slip hazard that he has created outside his house soft tissue damage claims will get them anything from 10 grand up

really?

so when people powerwash their driveways - they are being sued left right and centre?

right....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

Jaysus, I opened this thread with interest to follow for a solution as I am faced with a similar issue (Although in the back garden).

But the attitude the OP faces stinks. Not everybody is aware of potential hazards & drainage laws, so the presumption that the OP should be aware of this is a little OTT. I've washed cars in driveway for 20 years and never once given a thought about run off water down the street and potential law breeches. At this rate I should have been sued by now for a weeks worth of PUP for injury claims.

Jaysus, I opened this thread with interest to follow for a solution as I am faced with a similar issue (Although in the back garden).

But the attitude the OP faces stinks. Not everybody is aware of potential hazards & drainage laws, so the presumption that the OP should be aware of this is a little OTT. I've washed cars in driveway for 20 years and never once given a thought about run off water down the street and potential law breeches. At this rate I should have been sued by now for a weeks worth of PUP for injury claims.

Thanks, little did I think when I started this thread id face an opening post like I did. People are washing cars every Saturday in my estate and no one has been prosecuted for allowing run off water onto the road. You’d swear I was dumping used motor oil or paint on the road or something. Anyway lesson learned, avoid the diy forum in future. If a mod could please close the thread now that would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Most modern planning includes a clause that there should be no run off from the property to the public road.

I presume you have a rainwater drain somewherer you could link into, but you are actually trying to get rid of water which probably contains a detergent.

It may be ok to wash a car in the driveway using a bucket of water but it was never designed to be an area for powerwashing.

What happens when frost forms on the water and someone slips and does damage to their back or worse?

wildwillow wrote: »
    Most modern planning includes a clause that there should be no run off from the property to the public road.

I presume you have a rainwater drain somewherer you could link into, but you are actually trying to get rid of water which probably contains a detergent.

It may be ok to wash a car in the driveway using a bucket of water but it was never designed to be an area for powerwashing.

What happens when frost forms on the water and someone slips and does damage to their back or worse?

:rolleyes:

not many people powerwash their drives in the depths of winter really

one would wonder how the human race has survived all these years given the annual mix of rain and frost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,911 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I don't know what to say to you op but the amount of abuse you've received is outrageous. I'm lucky because both front and back gardens of my house slope towards the house. My father in law had a problem similar to yours he belted a hole in the wall with a star chaser and lump hammer that was over 40 years ago and no claims yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

The DIY forum should be shut down based on this thread,
    OP didn't come here for personal assaults/insults, where is the friendly advice !?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I don't know what to say to you op but the amount of abuse you've received is outrageous. I'm lucky because both front and back gardens of my house slope towards the house. My father in law had a problem similar to yours he belted a hole in the wall with a star chaser and lump hammer that was over 40 years ago and no claims yet...

I wouldn't call that lucky. Very bad for the house. You want as much water to run away as possible

Is that a flowerbeds on the left, could you dig down there or under those rocks and create a soak pit with a gully or sump to collect the silt. It wouldn't need to be that big

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gtv2002g

A small hole would not be much use ...it would block in no time I would suggest at least a 50 mm core bit at a slight angle and dig down and put some large pebbles or stones at drain exit

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gtv2002g

Sorry entrance

• Advertisement

gtv2002g wrote: »
    A small hole would not be much use ...it would block in no time I would suggest at least a 50 mm core bit at a slight angle and dig down and put some large pebbles or stones at drain exit

I wouldn't rwconmentld drilling out onto the footpath. You are opening g yourself up to legal issues if someone slipped on ice or slime etc.
    But if I was doing it I would agree with you. We have a similar issue between a shed and a wall outside the wall is a field so its different in that way. Years ago 25 to 30mm holes were put in at one spot but they clog all the time. I had a 50mm bit rented out for a different job and drilled a few more. The 50s never block . I also drilled a 20 degrees or more

Is that a flowerbeds on the left, could you dig down there or under those rocks and create a soak pit with a gully or sump to collect the silt. It wouldn't need to be that big

Thanks for the suggestion, yeah it’s a flowerbed. I’ll look into doing this.

A lot of high horses around here that’s for sure. I’ll look into the suggestion of routing it left into the flowerbed and create a small soakpit there.

wildwillow wrote: »

I’ve never power washed a car outside of may - September. And certainly wouldn’t be doing it on a cold day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭blackbox

When you wash a car on a normal driveway the water that runs across the path dries up shortly after you have finished.

If you drill a hole in the wall, the water will (I presume) have to percolate through some soil first and the discharge will be very gradual. This can lead to the path being wet for a long time and result in a slimy surface. It also makes ice more likely. Rain water will go through it as well as your wash water.

I would be reluctant to do this unless there was a good slope directly to the road so that the water on the path would be minimal (ideally with a channel to keep it confined).

I wouldn't call that lucky. Very bad for the house. You want as much water to run away as possible

I have drains....

I have drains....

I presumed you did. But my point stands.
    You are very reliant on those drains and if something goes wrong then water will be an issue.
    I would much rather it drain away naturally than run towards the house

I presumed you did. But my point stands.
    You are very reliant on those drains and if something goes wrong then water will be an issue.
    I would much rather it drain away naturally than run towards the house

Ah jaysus what do you expect me to do, recreate the film up:D joking aside I make sure to keep all drains clear of leaves etc, I recently did a revamp of the outside and it's much easier to keep everything clear and flowing freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,351 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

landcrzr wrote: »

That's exactly how all the houses were built where I grew up (by the local authority, no less.)

All the house gutters drained into a concrete channel in each front garden, there a little hole in each front garden wall to let the water drain out onto the footpath.
    When there was a decent amount of rain that was a LOT of water.

Also on streets of shops / houses with no gardens it's usual for gutters to drain onto the path.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

That's exactly how all the houses were built where I grew up (by the local authority, no less.)

All the house gutters drained into a concrete channel in each front garden, there a little hole in each front garden wall to let the water drain out onto the footpath.
    When there was a decent amount of rain that was a LOT of water.

Also on streets of shops / houses with no gardens it's usual for gutters to drain onto the path.

Like your username Your Honor...

Advertisement